Can’t Remember Life Without Tinnitus Yet Know Not Much About It

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bob Downs, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Bob Downs

Bob Downs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infections
      Between the ages of 2 and 8 (I’m 50 now), I endured many excruciating inner ear infections and many sets of ear tubes surgically installed and surgically removed when they fell out of place as I grew (causing many of the aforementioned infections). The doctors also tried removing my tonsils and adenoids to see whether that would prevent more infections.

I’ve had ringing in my ears for as long as I can remember. And, it’s likely that I’ve been hard of hearing for almost as long but didn’t know it until my six year old son started crying in the back seat of our car because his throat was hurting from yelling while trying to tell me about his day at school. That was in 2000.

Today, I have ReSound ENZO 3D hearing aids in both ears. They help with both hearing and tinnitus quite a bit. But, the tinnitus still drives me mad from time to time, especially when it’s really quiet.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I can remember what year my Tinnitus began (more than 30 years ago). However, I can't remember what life was like without it. "Silence"...what's that?

If my Tinnitus were to suddenly and unexpectedly cease, my brain would probably process it as "There must be something wrong."

That said, welcome to the forum, Bob. I'm glad you found us...(y)

• Like Like x 2
    3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      That’s a good point actually. My brain is so used to the noise being there now that I sometimes wonder if it vanished completely would I freak out?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bob Downs

Bob Downs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infections
      I’d be happy to test the theory! ☺️

• Agree Agree x 3