Can Anyone Explain Reactive Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michellejean, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      I don’t think I have reactive tinnitus but I also don’t know what it is so maybe I do? Could you guys help me with this?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The term reactive tinnitus is usually used by people having tinnitus to describe that with external sounds, ones perception of tinnitus loudness may change and it may become more noticeable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It could be two things, from my perspective:
      - Your tinnitus volume increases or new tones appear as a result of (even moderate) noise exposure. These 'spikes' (if you will) usually settle after a few hours. Some people think this is because one has hyperacusis or TTTS.
      - You hear strange noises over or within (certain) external sounds (sometimes as if they're coming from that sound or originating within it). Specifically, white noise, such as rain, wind, a streaming river, and so on. As soon as the auditory input of that external noise dwindles, so does the 'reactive T'. This is usually, more accurately, called 'dysacusis' by some. That or hearing distortion. The most typical sounds you will experience together with white noise, are whistles, beeping or ringing. But it varies for everyone, just like normal T does, I guess.

4. Anselmo

Anselmo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin
      You have tinnitus, and are extremely susceptible to most noises, to put it in layman’s terms. I did some reading about it, and the consensus is that it is a made up term by tinnitus forums. Their words, not mine.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018