Can Anyone Offer a Basic Technique to Cope When You Notice Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by monkey legs, Jan 25, 2018.

1. monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.
      Hi folks,

I am waiting for ENT/TRT help. In the time being can anyone offer any technique that can help me not focus on the Tinnitus so much and give me a bit of psychological breathing space?

I seem to notice it very much when I transition from room to room, and indoors/outdoors. Im trying to help myself as much as I can until I can see someone.

Some just say try and hear it without judging it. But how the hell do you do that? lol

Kind Regards.

Chimp.

2. Burnsie

Burnsie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I think bits just time.

I'm currently going through a period a noticing it again after a few years (don't think it's got louder). Even when I walk into the office at work, I feel my brain checking for it.... Yesterday i wasn't noticing as much so checked even harder!

I think generally the checking gets less and less.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Chimp,
      I would play some nice relaxing music when you can to keep you calm.
      If going out in cold weather keep your ears warm with hood or hat etc.
      Love glynis

4. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Try the Back to Silence method. I've been using it diligently for the last few months and believe it has made a difference. (In addition to the improvement from ACRN and possibly fasting.)

My tinnitus always got worse outdoors, so it was helpful to use the BTS method when hiking. You don't need to make marks on paper, just state your emotional reaction without measuring or describing the T.

5. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      YouTube videos, reading, house work, DIY projects, exercise, etc... Just keep yourself busy.

6. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably poor posture + bruxism
      I go for distraction with a bit of music. Netflix helps, too :) The trick is to keep yourself busy and when you notice it try not to focus on it too much. With time, you'll almost forget about it. I notice it more when I'm stressed, so I'm trying to do things that control my stress level too, live a bit of yoga. Don't worry, you'll be ok, I promise :)