Can COVID-19 Nasal Swab Testing Cause Tinnitus or Hyperacusis Worsening?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mystery Reader, May 17, 2021.

1. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      Hey, folks!

Hope everyone is doing well!

I have a question about the COVID-19 nasal swab test, for anyone who has had it.

I'm in the U.S. and have been following the social distancing, masking, and hand washing and sanitizing protocols from the beginning. I've never had a COVID-19 test, and am still on the fence about taking the vaccine. With rules beginning to relax in the U.S. regarding masking and such, it occurred to me that I might need to get a COVID-19 test at some point No one in my area seems to be doing the throat swab or saliva test, so it's likely nasal swab or nothing.

My question for anyone with extant tinnitus or hyperacusis who has had this test, is if the nasal swab testing resulted in any adverse effect (a spike or otherwise) for you.

I've been told the swab goes pretty far back up the nasal passages, and although I don't know all the inner anatomy, I'm a little concerned about something going that far up the nose and somehow having an adverse affect on tinnitus or hyperacusis. I don't know how close to the Eustachian tube or any other area of concern the swab would go.

It seems like it would be an okay thing to do, but with this condition, I guess it's better to ask around and find out what people think or what they have experienced. The choice would ultimately be mine, of course, but this forum is a good source of information, so I thought I'd ask.

Also, any advice for preparation, or what to say to the health care worker should I wind up getting a test?

I did a search in the forum but didn't find this particular question. If I missed it, please feel free to link me to the thread!

Any experience you have to share is appreciated!

As always, I hope you're all doing well! Thanks in advance for any response to this!

Mystery Reader

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I had it done. It didn't make a difference to my tinnitus.

3. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      The test never spiked mine.

4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      No impact for me.

5. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      It didn’t affect me.

6. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

No, it cannot cause tinnitus or hyperacusis worsening.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Stanlex
      Wtf

Stanlex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2019 - mild, 03/2021 - the real shit
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something that cannot be identified by 21st century tech
      I was wondering this as well. However, I have had numerous COVID-19 tests and none did anything to my tinnitus.

But it is really interesting. They stick the stick really deep into the nose. What is weird is that it often irritated my eye on the side where I had the test.

I also wonder whether the stick touches Eustachian tube when it is so deep in the nose.

9. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I think the Eustachian tube is connected to a sinus cavity, and the testing swab does not enter that particular sinus cavity.