Can Foam Earplugs for Sleep Cause Ear Damage/Worsen Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by shiningdialga, Dec 3, 2019.

1. shiningdialga

shiningdialga Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I got tinnitus in about 2010, and it's a 24/7 deal. I had a breakdown over it about a month ago (though I think this was more related to my anxiety than the actual tinnitus). I'm back to the land of the mentally stable now, and frankly, I can't tell if my tinnitus has worsened over the last several years or so. It's definitely worse than when I first noticed it, but the sounds I hear now are roughly the same as I have noticed over the last several years.

I've also worn earplugs since about 2011 due to a college roommate who loved to whine to her boyfriend over the phone until 3 AM. I've worn them to sleep ever since, and while I can sleep alright in relatively quiet environments, but work second shift and usually sleep until about noon, so the neighborhood is usually pretty noisy by then. I use super-soft foam plugs that come from the store, and have a habit of using them for way longer than I should. That said, I've never had any problems with wax impaction or ear infections (as far as I know) and I do change them out on a regular basis. However, there are times when I pull them out, even slowly, and I feel some pretty sharp pain inside my ear towards my tympanic membrane that will last for sometimes 20 minutes. It's rare, but does happen.

So my question is, do I risk causing damage to my ear by using these types of plugs to sleep at night? A nurse I talked to said to stop, but the audiologist and ENT today both said they shouldn't cause any problems. Anyone had any experience with this or been told otherwise? Just want to make sure I don't do any preventable damage to my ears!

2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Your non-tinnitus reason for wearing them is a better case in their favour than tinnitus. If you've been wearing them this long then it probably isn't worth worrying about, and its probably habit as much as anything. Do what keeps you comfortable and lets you sleep best.

3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Sleeping with the ear plugs is fine, and won't make the T worse. I sleep with them nightly, and think it has helped me plenty.

However, the plugs should not be painful. You should try either a shorter plug, a slimmer plug, or a low pressure plug and figure out which is the most comfortable- for you. Ear canals have quite a bit of variation in size in terms of length and diameter, along with the curves, so "one size fits all" does not really apply here.

4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      My feeling is there can be a higher risk of a hearing infection or fungus.

I have seldom slept with earplugs, even when I had severe hyperacusis. It is really uncomfortable.

5. TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Constant ringing recent, hum few years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unwanted tests by Incompetent NHS hospital staff
      I used to wear them religiously for bed and couldn't not use them. Since this horrendous racket in my head started 3 months ago, ear plugs just amplify the tinnitus. Is that not the norm? The low hum is FAR louder with the ear plugs in. If anyone has any top tips please tell...

6. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I used to sleep with them every night when I lived beside a busy road. But it's quiet enough where I'm living now, and since getting tinnitus I prefer not to use them. I can still sleep with them occasionally if I have to, like when travelling. I never noticed any difference to my tinnitus from using them or not using them.

7. TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Constant ringing recent, hum few years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unwanted tests by Incompetent NHS hospital staff
      Mine is far louder when they're in my ear. Much boomier.

8. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I find that the tinnitus does seem louder when I put the earplugs in. After a few minutes, the volume and intensity decreases. Most importantly, when I wake up in the morning, the tinnitus has reset, and is quieter. When I sleep without earplugs, the volume does not go down at night. I also sleep better, later, and wake up less.

• Like Like x 1
    9. CMIH

CMIH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I don't understand how foam earplug can cause pain unless you're inserting them too deeply.

10. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      There are other mechanisms. If you are allergic, this could cause pain also. The other problem can come if the ear canal is small, and exerts too much pressure onto the delicate skin inside the canal.

11. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The only way I can see ear plugs causing more issues is if they happen to push any ear wax you may have further into the ear canal.

I also religiously wore ear plugs for over 2 years now due to super noisy upstairs neighbors. Stopped wearing them 3 weeks ago when I noticed my Tinnitus mostly because it made the ringing worse, but also I wanted to give my ears some time to recover.

I did on occasion notice pain with my foam plugs. I am a side sleeper and would wake up from the pressure my ears would experience as my pillow would push on them at night and the opening to my ear would hurt. I also had an experience where for about a week the inner part of my tragus was itchy and dry.

If you must wear them, I would experiment with a different softer kind. They make some especially for women that are softer and smaller ( even within this category I found some to be softer than others )