Can I Still Use My Gaming Headset on Low Volume?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ab4477, Nov 10, 2018.

?

Can I still use my gaming headset now that I have tinnitus?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Ab4477

Ab4477 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 or 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was wondering if I can still use my gaming headset for my Xbox to talk with my friends and game with them in a low volume. I have Turtle Beach's EarForce Seven Pros and I'm wondering if it would make my tinnitus worse.

I've only noticed mine for about 3 or 4 days and I notice it more when there is no sound coming through the headset.

I have the volume super low. I can barely hear the game sounds (gunshots, voice announcer, can't hear footsteps at all, I would have to turn it up louder but oh well) in CoD and Fortnite and I still have the voice chat enough where I can hear my friends.

At the moment it might be slightly louder but I think that's more due to anxiety and stress. Since this started my anxiety has been through the roof. I do have health anxiety though and it's been like this for multiple things throughout the year but most of them have resolved.

2. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I personally would advise against it. Say they same to my son. Does he listen?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I personally don‘t believe that headphones on a very low volume will make tinnitus worse (i am talking low volume and no accidents). However i don‘t use them myself out of fear, so yea.....instead i have them around my neck with a bit higher volume so i can hear talking and communicate myself.

So this is no advice, just telling you what i do:)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      No one here can give you a scientific answer because there is no scientific evidence to show that someone with tinnitus using headphone at a low volume will cause any damage. On the flip side there is no evidence to say it is safe either. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence saying that people do have issues, but again it is anecdotal and we don't know all the factors going into it.

I currently don't use them because I am giving my ears time to heal after a noise trauma.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No you can't.

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If your tinnitus was caused by exposure to loud noise or headphone use, I advise you to never use headphones again even at low volume. If you are one of these people that believe, unless something is proven by "science" to be good or bad then it's perfectly okay to do as you like, then continue using headphones/headset at your own risk.

Peruse some of the many posts in this forum from people that have noise induced tinnitus and continued using headphones or returned to using them after habituation, only to regret it because the tinnitus increased to a much higher level permanently.

Some people with "noise induced" tinnitus use headphones at low volume without any problems. However, there is always a risk of the tinnitus spiking. When this happens it doesn't always return to its previous level.

Each time you pickup your headset to use them, ask yourself this question: Do I feel lucky?

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Ask your doctors. I did. They all told me it should be ok, as long as the volume was kept low.

The way I reintroduced headphones after my T was to use a progressive schedule. 5 min, 10 min, 20 min, 40 min, etc...

Just because the doctors say it should be ok doesn't mean you shouldn't be prudent and careful. Accidents do happen, so if you're going to give it a try, make sure you have a good understanding of how your master volume works and is controlled, and start playing the content before you put the headphones on.

Also your condition may not react well to sound in general (whether headphones or other), so even if you get a green light from a doctor, it would make sense to still apply your common sense and stop any activity that seems to aggravate your condition.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      N.O.
      Especially for you, who uses them to game with other people. Ultimately, Jack Straw is right, no evidence either way. For my experience, I tried doing the same thing you did, even after getting T and H, I did not let my ears rest at all. My T and H was permanently worsened because someone I was playing with in a tabletop game screamed very loudly and prolonged.

And a tabletop game is considered chill. For your mainstream video games, I would not trust anyone not to ruin my ears. Honestly, the problem is more other people in my opinion, though still wouldn't recommend for single player.

Every time a player screams, laughs in annoying way, has terrible mic quality, etc.

That doesn't mean you can't game with friends. Explore a mic/speaker set up. Microsoft is very accessible friendly. Maybe even wear headphones around your neck. I think @coffee_girl does this.

Can you tell us, has your T worsened lately? Is it more noticeable now than when you first got it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ab4477

Ab4477 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 or 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I dont think it has but if it did it's probably more due to the anxiety and fear around it along with stress constantly reading about it

10. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I've played a racing game a few times with headphones on. I'm fine.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Well said my friend!

12. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I think it depends on where you are in the healing process. If you've recently been exposed to acoustic trauma and your ears are ringing... It might not be a good idea to use the heads phones. It will prevent your ears from healing.

If you've had t for a long time and it is now permanent, then I might risk it. But I still would advise against it

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I totally blame my tinnitus on wearing earphones while running. Big mistake and I'm paying for it now. I stayed away from any form of headphones until a few months ago when I thought I'd give it a go. Big mistake. My right ear (my good ear) started acting up immediately. I have bad tinnitus on my left side and didn't need problems on my right. But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.

14. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      I personally wouldn't but maybe I'm overly cautious. I used to wear headphones all evening after work. I'd wear them going to the gym, travelling, anything really. But ever since I got my mild tinnitus I would like to do everything in my power to keep it mild so I havent gone to any loud place without earplugs and I also haven;t worn headphones once since then.

• Like Like x 1
    15. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      What healing are you talking about exactly? Ears don't heal. Stop spreading misinformation.

Anyway, the issue isnt low volume, the issue is the days when you forget about your tinnitus and turn it up. Better to prevent that scenario.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      the difference between headphones, earbuds and hearing aids is what exactly?

17. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      Well, I use it to play Overwatch with my friends sometimes. I saw no harm until now. But I do have more discipline with the volume after the T onset.

18. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Having recently been exposed to tinnitus you don't want to make it worse by isolating your ears to sound. It's a huge mistake that leads to worse t. At least give it some time.

And it's better to avoid headphones completely due to the very real scenario of loud feedback

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      ok, but that's got nothing to do with healing.