Can One Actually Habituate to Slight Uneven Hearing and Loud Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jdjd09, May 3, 2016.

1. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So, sometimes I think if I just stopped coming to the boards, attempted to just do my best in life, forget thinking about lllt or laser therapy or hearing aids, and just wear war plugs to loud events I could maybe live a normal life like before.

But I have my doubts too. I have ringing the isn't steady and can be practically heard above everything. A jet is flying over me right now and I can still hear it (near an airport). It changes a lot.

So, with that in mind, can one honestly habituate to this? And what would that even mean? I just don't know .

I'm trying to be more positive in life, but I just want the truth. Can my life be normal like before, sans the earplugs when going out? Can I be me again?

I just want to know. Its been almost 5 months, I just really want to know.

PS: the uneven hearing is 40db to hear 8khz, 30db to hear 6khz, and I think 30 db to hear 4khz. That is for one ear and rear of frequencies are 20db or up. Left ear is mostly 10db across the board.

2. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @jdjd09 Life will never be the same as before (at least not for me) but you can learn to coexist with T.
      I have been struggling hard last couple days not sure why but it just seems unbearable lately plus I have TMJ and am in pain but here I am encouraging you to find inner strength. JD to me COEXISTING is the only answer find the strength.

Be Strong stay strong

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Well that isn't encouraging. Anyone else?

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Jdjd09,
      I think duel purpose hearing aids will help you as you have the choice to use hearing aids or Maskers ....lots of love glynis

5. Carlos1

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @jdjd09 lol you are something else bro I tell you to be strong meaning do what you need to do (hearing Aids) or anything else that will ease your suffering you'll get through this and your response is "well that's not encouraging"

Ok well good luck man hope you find a solution to what your looking for.
      Keep us informed if you find any answers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So I'm not looking to be negative in this post. Forget my past threads. I just want to know if I can live normal life again, if I just stopped coming here looking for hearing aids or whatever else. I just move on and focus on other things.

7. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Yes.

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Try hearing aids first. If they don't help you can usually return them within a specified period of time.

9. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Unreal.

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Carlos1

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @jdjd09 Yes you can is that what you're looking for

• Funny Funny x 1
    11. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What frequency is your tinnitus? I'm starting to believe very high frequency tinnitus is harder to deal with because nothing in your everyday noise matches that frequency and hearing aids / maskers won't either.

I thought several weeks ago you said you were more bothered by the minor hearing loss than the tinnitus?

12. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      I had a very strange thing happen to me today with my T I went to close my front door when my ringing ear changed to a whooshing sound that was very loud followed by earache

13. NineNails

NineNails Member

How can anybody hab to something as capricious as reactive T? Honestly, hab is just an excuse for "there's nothing we can do for you, so you had better get used to it."
      Of course, if you had minor T the kind you only perceive in total silence or if you plugged your ears it's probably possible to eventually hab. The fallacy is to project this onto extreme cases of T. It simply is not applicable! Ever! Unless, you're completely brain dead.

For me personally unconsciousness helps. And/or heavy drugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1