Can Someone Debunk the Claims in This Article and Similar Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jdjd09, Oct 15, 2017.

1. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So, this article claims that silence can help with this stuff:

LINK: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/silence-brain-benefits_us_56d83967e4b0000de4037004

However, I don't feel this is necessarily true. Also, it could just mean outside noises and not internal noises. Overall, just don't feel like this article is fully true.

Can someone please help explain maybe why this article is debunked or not releveant to tinnitus? Thanks for any help.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The article isn't true and I suggest you ignore it. Silent rooms and surroundings are not good for someone with tinnitus, even if it's low level tinnitus, especially at night time when a sound machine should be used by the bedside.

Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Anyone? Can someone disprove this?

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't think there's much to debunk here.

The idea that urban noise pollution is a significant stressor and leads to shorter lifespans and lower quality of life is noncontroversial, well documented (and is one of the big reasons I now live in the middle of the woods).

The idea that mice generate new brain cells more quickly when they are in silence for 2 hours a day is based on new research, and the research is cited in the article.

The idea that many people meditate in silence on a regular basis and find it calming and relaxing is well documented and goes back thousands of years (I do this, granted my 'silence' is not very silent, eeeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEE).

The thing is -- what's being described here in the article, is "quiet", not "silence". Nowhere does it say "go sit in a completely soundproofed chamber". As far as meditation goes, one thing that happens pretty quickly, even if you're in a 'silent' room, is that you become aware of all the sounds around you -- tinnitus, the sound of your breath, the sound of your heartbeat, the sound of lighting systems or HVAC, the sounds of traffic or wind, etc. And, this appears to be sort of geared towards people in urban environments, who are probably being exposed to really constant, stressful sound. Again, the idea that urban noise is really bad for you, is really well documented. One fairly recent study I saw exposed rats to 68db for 24hrs/day or 72db for 10 hours a day, and in both cases found demonstrable brain damage to audio-related cortexes after only a few months. This is far below the level required to cause threshold shifts.

I know you believe this and it is your experience; again, I disagree pretty strongly. Sleeping with even a quiet fan on makes my tinnitus more obnoxious the next day. Sleeping with earplugs makes me feel relaxed, and has had no negative effect on my tinnitus or hearing, after a relatively long period of time. I am certainly not advocating wearing earplugs 24/7 (I wear them to sleep because of a snoring partner and annoying pets), but I do not think that people "should" do any one thing; rather, we should all experiment and figure out what works for us. I do use a small tranquility fountain in my office most of the time, and I tend to listen to music during the day when I'm working.

I like silent surroundings. I have gone to great lengths to put myself in an incredibly quiet environment where I hear almost no traffic, airplanes, etc. Of course that doesn't mean it's really "silent"; there is the wind in the trees and the crackle of the ice beneath my feet even in the dead of winter.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      You and me both!
      That's why I moved from New York to the mountains and on the edge of a national forest. Additionally, my home is the last one on a dead-end street. So, there's no noise from passing vehicles.
      Serenity and the sounds of nature are where it's at, for me.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      :D I'm right there with you. I'm actually in the process of buying a house on a dead end street that leads to a state forest. We won't be the last house on the street -- pretty sure that one is owned by someone with more money than I'll ever have -- but we're going to be on some acres with a barn and a maple sugar operation, so it'll be very quiet and I'll have a lot to keep me busy!

I just wish we'd already closed and moved; the last month and a half has been super stressful, can't wait until it's over.

• Like Like x 1
    7. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      That's really something for you to look forward to, for sure! I wish you and your family the best of luck and many happy and peaceful years there....(y)

8. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      >A post asking people with tinnitus to say why they don't need silence

Gee I wonder why there's no urgency to find a cure for this. Sure is a mystery.

Sure this article is pretty inaccurate; but really guys?

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      We shall agree to disagree. Indeed, it is my experience and many others share my belief on using sound enrichment at night, including health professionals that practice tinnitus treatment and management with their patients. In particular: Hearing Therapists and Audiologists. I respect your views to as you have mine and shows we can share difference of opinions and still have manners and respect for each other, unlike a few in this forum that have to resort to using unpleasant language far too often to get their point across.

I wish you well.
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    10. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @threefirefour

Although this is 2017 and I realize the trend today is that people want do whatever they feel like doing. When it comes to using bad language and swearing etc, I wasn't raised this way. I don't think much of a person that uses it especially in writing. Manners makes a man and a woman and carries us right through life. If one regularly uses vulgar language it won't be long before they are out in the real world, and in company and forget and blurt it out. This could cause a lot of embarrassment for them and the people they happen to be with.

Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Honestly, I curse like a sailor in real life and I tend to online, but I figured out that it really bothers you so I make every effort to avoid it in replies to you, or threads you've been active on :D

I wish you well, too!

• Like Like x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes it does bother me because I abhor swearing. My parents are dead and gone and I never used it in front of them. There is no need to use bad language in my opinion and I thank you for not using it when corresponding with me.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    14. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I don't know how much truth to this there is nowadays. It must have been true some odd 20 years ago but these days everyone cusses. My teachers in high school cussed, my professors cuss, my parents cuss and make random racial slurs a lot, and of course every young person cusses. If your grandkids say they don't, don't believe it for a second. I can see why you woulod be object to it, because manners are a dying art, but like eeverything, ettiquite changes as well.

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I hear what you are saying and I disagree with you on every point. You are known by the company you keep. I assure you of this. If you stopped swearing around the people that you mix with. I guarantee you after a while they will STOP using it when conversing with you. I have just explained to a member on another thread. My parents are no longer with me and I have never used bad language in front of them. The people that I associate with daily neighbours etc do not swear. People never use it when in conversation with me. I agree it has happened occasionally; I don't show any aversion but they soon stop once they realize I am not swearing.

It is all to do with class and principles and the more you respect yourself the more people will respect you. You will begin to mix with people in different circles that do not use vulgar language. It is all up to you and what you want out of life.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      And why would I want to do that? Cussing is a spook. Think about it, who decided that "the s-word" is a bad word? It literally means poop. By that metric why aren't "poop" and "scat" bad words? Same with others, like "the f-word" mean "to have sex with". Why isn't sex a bad word? It's just a stupid moral metric that people are beginning to overthrow.

17. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      If its true or not i don't know but damn i sure would suggest people to enjoy silence as someone who can't anymore... I'd give anything to have it again... I mean anything

• Like Like x 1
    18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      As I said. It is all about respect and it starts with you. When you go out on the street your attire is clean and well pressed isn't it? I'm sure you don't want to walk on the street looking like a vagrant? If you did people that know you might distance themselves or turn away from you yes? Just as one checks that they are clean and tidy when on the street, the moment we open our mouths and start to talk people draw conclusions about us. I'm sure you wouldn't go to see your President and be using swear words would you?

I rest my case.
      Michael

19. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I agree with you michael but I have to admit, since I got T i curse much more ahah, I still commend your integrity to your values!

20. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Our president cusses sometimes. That's why hillary's before-election-day campaign commercial was basically "but Drumpf says mean things DD:".

The fault in your argument is you're assuming cussing is wrong because other people think so. I doubt they're the majority, but even if they are it's no metric for whether it is or isn't.

21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Well I'm sorry to hear that @Emanuel because you are letting yourself down. There is no need to constantly use profanity, because one day when your in company you are going to forget and embarrass yourself.

Michael

22. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I am pretty good at managing when I do curse, so I only do it alone but I think it has to do with the fact I have a lot of more anger issues now due to the T so I curse a lot and a lot when I am alone... But it doesn't influence anything else so I don't care... My life is already down the drain cursing or not won't change a thing

• Like Like x 1
    23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am not making argument just giving my point of view on the way I wish to live. The people that I associate with are wide and varied and don't swear when in conversation with me or I to them.

Michael

24. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You have much to learn @Emanuel Lourenco but you've got to want it.
      Michael

25. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I suggest that you gentleman stop this debate because both have different perspectives and both will remain with their opinion so, let us just keep it to ourselves and respect each others choices

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Alright that's fine. Feel free to live as you please but it's not a good idea to tell other people to not cuss. Sorry you and I disagree.

27. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Oh yeah, I definitely learned a lot since I have gotten T, and realised what really is important in life... But I can't live a normal life when I feel unwell everyday, every hour because of the incessant noise, if there is no cure or reliable ways to lower it, what the hell is the point of living suffering everyday...

• Like Like x 1
    28. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Please read all my posts. I never once told anyone not to cuss?

29. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      No but you certainly seem to use it like it's an argument. Your main reference to people like me and my ilk is "people who swear" or "foul mouthed interlopers" or something. By getting triggered by people and bad language you're hurting yourself more than others.

30. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I remember calling you an Interloper and I was expressing my opinion. If anyone uses foul and abusive language to me directly. I am entitled to voice my opinion on their use of language since I'm not swearing at them. I realize this is 2017 but I still think a person is entitled to voice their opinion. The truth may offend but it's certainly not a sin.

Michael