Can Syringing 'Cause' or Worsen Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Maggie-Mae, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Maggie-Mae
      Alienated

Maggie-Mae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anti-depressants, loud music, ???
      Hey all,

It's been a pretty up and down morning for me and my T.

I was meant to see an ENT and take a hearing test today as well as T counselling but went to the doctors first to get my ears checked. (I know it's a bit late to be doing that but when I got the referall a week ago the doctor threw it at me and didn't even check my ears!)

I was told today that the eardum in my right ear is hardly visible due to wax build up! The nurse syringed my ear with water for what felt like ages but none of it came out. :( My hearing is now WORSE in that ear and as a result my tinnitus feels louder!

My question is has anyone had a permanent spike in tinnitus post syringing? I am freaking out a little...

Thanks!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Syringing caused my tinnitus, however don't take that as definitive it will cause a permanent worsening of your tinnitus.

Syringing is carried out in great numbers all over the world every day and very few end up with tinnitus or a worsening of it...

From: http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/detalhe_artigo.asp?id=462

RESULTS

We reviewed records from 2,400 consecutive patients who visited our clinic (1,704 male, 696 female; mean age, 53.3 ± 11.8 years; age range, 7-87 years). All the patients experienced (and sought treatment for) chronic tinnitus. Eleven of these patients reported that their tinnitus began soon (immediately to 3 days) after they underwent cerumen removal procedures performed by a clinician. Table 1 lists information related to these patients and the cerumen management procedures that were associated with the onset of their tinnitus.

syringing-tinnitus-cause.jpg

Hopefully yours return to baseline soon!

• Informative Informative x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maggie-Mae
      Alienated

Maggie-Mae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anti-depressants, loud music, ???
      Very informative! Thank you so much for the response. :)

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Make sure you use olive oil drops from a chemist for at least a week to ten days prior to wax removal to soften any crusted wax around your ear drum .....lots of love glynis

• Funny Funny x 1