Can the Occlusion Effect Be Harmful to One's Hearing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rob3r7, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Rob3r7
      Lurking

Rob3r7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Occlusion_large.png

Could this be harmful to hearing?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS
      Buzzed

bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      soundwaves, transformers, vibrations, sirens, decibels, life
      Yes....? I am no expert and didn't even realize this was a real phenomenon, until a certain point. I used to think things only "sounded louder" in my head when I was wearing earplugs, and not "actually louder", but I have learnt and I believe it is real (just like Smurfs).

But I think...I think...it would be most harmful with some already loud sound originating from inside, like your voice if you're screaming or shouting...maybe singing real loud?! Or something like dental work being done, which also may be bad via bone conduction (all stuff I don't even want to think about). I don't believe amplifying normal internal noises like a regular talking voice, or casually singing does any significant damage. Just my current thoughts on it. I wouldn't be surprised if I've done some damage due to the occlusion effect, especially before I ever thought about it and didn't restrain my voice while wearing earplugs. An interesting note is that when I close my eyes tightly I can hear a low rumbling sound if I'm wearing earplugs...

I do wonder if musicians that use in-ear monitors make their ears worse by the occlusion effect, plus the volume being piped in...actually I don't wonder I am certain their ears get worse. Which means that some folks don't mind making their ears plenty worse as part of their profession or lifestlye...more power to them. I wish musicians would talk about tinnitus and hearing loss and hyperacusis openly. I really wish someone would write a book that includes interviews with famous and not famous musicians/producers/engineers about the subject of tinnitus and hearing issues whilst being in the music business.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
      • Like Like x 1