Can weightlifting affect tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mick1987, Jun 16, 2014.

1. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys, hope your all OK.

I was into weightlifting for quite a few years, really got into it, but I haven't picked up weights since the onset of my tinnitus in 2012. I was worried the straining of the neck muscles/exerting pressure when lifting heavy might make tinnitus worse?

I know exercise can cause a slight temporary increase in T after because of the increased blood flow to the ears, but are there any risks of permanent increases from exerting yourself lifting weights?

If there are risks i'll do without, it isn't a big deal. :)

Thanks in advance.

2. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      I lifted for 20 plus yrs prior to T. I say no. Pick up those darn wghts and itll will make you feel bettr. I didnt say cure or reduce T though.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Vadim A

Vadim A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Interesting topic, as I have the same story. I haven't listen since 6 months and I'm having a major spike now.

• Like Like x 1
    4. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      I lifted weight for 6-7 years before I got T without any problems.

I'm more worried about the half Marathon I'm supposed to run in September :(

• Like Like x 1
    5. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      Actually yes.. weight lifting can spike the t.. I would suggest not to max out..maybe can maintain at your body weight. .especially deadlift and back squats..
      Lifting weights causes spike in blood pressure which affects cochlea. .

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I've been lifting weights before and since getting tinnitus and it doesn't affect me. Also run a couple half marathons, did the tough mudder thing and did a trail run just the other week. None of those have affected my tinnitus, there have been a few spikes after intense training sessions but that's to be expected.

Just take care in how much you plan to lift, use correct form and build up very slowly so you're less prone to injury. Only thing that I could see really messing up tinnitus long term with any of this is if you managed to really injure the neck area somehow, but I mean REALLY mess it up good somehow.

Otherwise, get to it!

• Like Like x 1
    7. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I find that my T gets louder if I lift heavier weights, all down to the neck and the strain it puts on me. Sticking to sets of 15 reps seems to be the sweet spot, no spikes or bad after effects.

I think it's mostly down to form though. I recently started to lower the weights and really concentrate on good form and I feel a lot better for it, stronger and a lot less strained.

I do suffer a bit with strain around my neck so I have to be relatively careful, probably from years of being into heavy metal.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks for your replies guys, makes sense to start light and work up from there, then see how it goes. :)

My brother has T and lifts without any problems, but he doesn't care about his T, I tend to be more cautious, some could say paranoid! Lol.

9. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Great topic for me. I plan to get back into weiht training after not doing any weights for three months. I've gotten tinnitus between the 3 months, so I was wondering the same.

10. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Interesting. For reasons, I have not been able to workout regularly at all this year (3-4x wk) and I was wondering if the lack of the regular routine has something to do with it? No exercise for 3 months then T-Day (4/4/14) and I still have not returned to a regular routine. hmm...

11. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Same with me Jay, I had a break from the gym while the T started. That might very well support my suspicion regarding T and neck or back issues..

12. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      I don't feel like I have any neck or back issues. Maybe lifting has kept T at bay?

13. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Could be.. I have no idea.. Could be a coincidence though.. Maybe our bodies were more in balance back then :)

14. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      The way we live today we just don't use our bodies as they've evolved to be used, it's been a fast change to modern work and conveniences so we haven't quite caught up. If I don't work out I get stiffness and muscle aches, I feel the body needs to be worked in some way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yeah, I feel it the exact same way :)

16. 00JohnD
      Amazed

00JohnD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Hello all, one of my relative in my family is really into weight lifting and one day one of his nerve snapped, (from what i heard) and it happened all of a sudden. He then lost almost all of his hearing in one ear and suffer from hyperacusis in the other ear. That is similar to what i have as i had an operation in my shoulder because of repetitive luxation and because I wanted to rehabilitate faster, i did too much physiotherapy exercises and compensated too much with my neck and back muscle and developed tinnitus in my left ear (left shoulder got the operation) because of that...

17. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      @00JohnD hi! I'm also from Montreal!

18. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I was reading online the other day about Neil Young and his tinnitus. He was saying that when he was diagnosed with tinnitus, he stopped making music for a while and took up weight training, He still works out with weights to this day. He reckons it's helped his tinnitus.
      Who knows if he's right. But even if it's a placebo effect for him, it's still working.
      I'm going to start weights again on Friday. But at least until I've been to ENT, I'm not going to go mad.
      I never intended to go as hard as I have in the past. At one point I got a little obsessed. I just want to get back in shape. But another reason I don't intend on going too mad, is because I don't want to cause anymore damage.
      It makes sense that excessive straining could put too much strain on the mechanics of the all ready damaged ears. But then it's all guess work really.