Car Honking :(

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jamie m, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      So Friday night, I was getting out of my car, my fiancé was also about to get out his car from work. As I stand there, waiting for him. I pressed my button of my car to lock it and he honks his car at the same dang time!!! It made such a horrible sound and now my T has so many extra nosises :( he says he was sorry and he completely forgot he was just thinking I didn't see him in his car so he honked :(

I'm afraid I made my T worse , has this happened to anyone and will it go down

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Its happened to me when a door slammed shut near where i was sitting at the time. I experienced ear pain..increased t..diminished hearing for a few hours then it settled once i managed to calm my frazzled nerves

• Like Like x 1
    3. nick ahmad
      Balanced

nick ahmad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Hi Jamie,

Happened to me numerous times when I take my walks..cars here are notorious for having loud blaring horns and these people just love to honk..its like a culture to them.

I now carry earplugs in my wallet (the ones in airline gift packs) and had learned to anticipate noises..but i don't really worry about it when I do get the loud noises..the T will jump up and abate after awhile..

Hope u have a great day ahead.

Nick

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      thanks everyone, I'm thinking its trying to calm down but then I have a new sound so my aniexty works up. I have ear plugs with me but I was at my apartment and didn't think something like that would happen. I know he didn't mean to but he got yelled at that's for sure!!!!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      @DebInAustralia yeah it happened Friday I think my nerves are still high right now. Plus I've had off these last two days so I'm not doing anything but thinking about it! I guess these are my bad days. I had a good week of T. I just have to get used to this

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      @nick ahmad im sure it's jus trying to settle down. I have all these noises outside my apartment like crickets and frogs and this loud weird noise that I don't know where it's coming from when I heard it I went to bathroom to see if it was me and it's the noise from outside so that was relief. I just don't like these new tones

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Has it settled down ? I got a bus horn at 5 m max ( 1 sec ) on the street today even though normally I'm super careful but well, shit happens and to me pretty often. Globally as soon as I don't pay attention for a second some jerk will use the opportunity to blare a honk for no reason. I wish the honks were installed also inside their cabin and so that when they honk outside they get a honk directly in their ear too . this kind of things just ruin my day and my life globally cause I can't accept that this kind of stupid behaviour of sb on the street could worsen my hearing = worsen my tinnitus and make me even more miserable that it already makes me . :banghead:

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      It went down @Gosia ! Probably by Sunday morning ! I'm sorry :(

• Like Like x 1
    9. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      I resigned myself to wearing filtered musicians earplugs when out and about in my busy city, exactly to avoid such sutuations and i feel less stressed on the streets. City noise is not normal ambient sound unfortunately, so It's not overprotecting in my book..

10. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Mine (city) is not that loud actually and wearing earplugs all the time would be unberable , first cause it makes my tinnitus louder during the time I plug and second, it gives me long spikes. Going outside is my life saver cause I normally don't hear t there. Except that today I did hear it outside but I don't think it has anything to do with the honk yesterday. Fortunately Europe seems to be a bit calmer than USA, honks and noises are regulated.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Jamie

My girlfriend and I were sitting in her care a couple of weeks ago, we were waiting for a store to open. She decided to check the time on here dashboard display, the key was out of her ignition like it's supposed to be to avoid any problems. She then decided to press the radio button in the center of the dashboard and the car radio came on, almost full volume, she right away tried to turn it off, but it came on again, at that point I just jumped out of the car and close the door, really gave me a scare. She had owned that car for 3 years and never knew that it was possible for the radio to work with the key out like most cars. My point is, that crazy things happen all the time in life we just can't for see everything no matter how much we try.

It took about a week's for my spike to go back down after that, but it did.

Life happens what can we do ?

Better luck in the future

Louie

Quietatnight

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      @Gosia what do you mean regulatesd? Just curious

@quietatnight yeah and like a couple days ago a woman broke a bowl of glass and a child was screaming and I didn't think about it spiking and it didn't!

13. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I mean the cars and motorbikes can't be louder than certain level of db and general noise must be kept and certain level for it's regulated by EU law. Of course - that's an ideal and anyway, you need to be caught first to pay the fine if your car is too noisy and that rarely happens, but at least ; when it comes to car / bus honks they are regulated, so you can assume that a car honk bought legally etc can't be louder than 90 db and bus horn 105 , so I learned.. 105 is alr
      eady fuck.. loud at 1 m, but since I was at least 5 m away from it was a piece of a second long I assume it couldn't have done any harm and I didn't get any spike in the right ear that was exposed. Or I did, but it lasted one veneing and started far after that exposure so I can't even relate it to the honk. My worry now is my left side, worsened after my flight a week ago ..I believe to have read also that ambulance and other priviliged vehicles are far less loud in Europe than in the US and since we mostly have tiny cars here, not the American monsters, they also don't need and normally don't have 3 trumpets honks ( those are forbidden also and I believe in the US you can install whatever you want in your car ? ?)

14. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      FDNY RESPONDING COMPILATION 24 FULL OF BLAZING...

enjoy !

** WARNING ** set the volume as low as possible, those air horns are super loud

15. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
    16. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      • Like Like x 1
    17. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Jamie

You have to wonder, like you said you did not give the sound from the broken bowel and the loud child any thought, and you were fine, no spike. I think that happens a lot to people, seems like your better off just trying to not pay attention to loud sounds when they happen, makes sense. I have been watching TV at times and a loud part may come on like a bomb blowing up, and I thought it was really loud, but It was more the visual part of seeing the bomb blow up that seems to make me think it was louder when it really was. That happens to me a lot. I believe that our eyes play an important factor in how we perceive sounds and can distort reality.

Louie

Quietatnight

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Thanks everyone! Yeah when I went to New York I just got done eating pizza so I didn't have my plugs on and a fire truck came by and had its sirens on. No spike. So I guess I just gotta get used to certain things!