Carnivore Diet for Treating Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Ricky Demetro, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Ricky Demetro

Ricky Demetro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Hey all,

I've had tinnitus for 10.5 years, possibly caused by ototoxic acne meds. I go through periods of spikes (which are extremely emotionally taxing) and habituation.

I just want to say, after starting the Carnivore Diet 3 weeks ago, I haven't noticed my tinnitus once. I am not sure if it's related to the diet, but I just wanted to put this out there for everyone to consider. If I plug my ears, my tinnitus seems to be back at baseline (I had a very long spike starting in January that didn't remit.)

Check out this website: meatheals.com. There are a couple of testimonies that mention a reduction in tinnitus.

I'm not trying to proselytize, but I empathize with a lot of people's suffering here. Just a possible solution I think you might be interested in trying. What do you have to lose?

Sincerely,
      Ricky

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. G H
      Curious

G H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So what was the cause of your tinnitus in the first place?

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ricky Demetro

Ricky Demetro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Not exactly sure. Loud noise exposure, fluid in the ear, ototoxic meds, and so on.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What is the carnivore diet, is it really entirely meat? Could the reduction be to do with cutting out dairy? I have seen a few accounts of success with that.

5. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Interesting. Especially for a long-time sufferer. Meat is very high in L-Methionine which could be the reason. What are your daily meals like?

• Like Like x 1
    6. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To vttbx: If only my hearing organ / brain functioning was as perfectly adjusted and balanced as
      that Mondrian.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ricky Demetro

Ricky Demetro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      The carnivore diet is simply eating meat (any kind) and drinking water. However, some people extend that definition to include consuming any animal products (including dairy) and salt as well. But carbs must be kept an extremely low percentage of your overall daily macronutrients.

Breakfast is usually bacon with scrambled eggs with butter.

A typical lunch for me is 1lb of ground beef, three eggs (scrambled w/ butter) and a little bit of pink Himalayan salt.

Dinner is about a lb of NY strip steaks and eggs again.

It sounds like an insane diet, but my inflammation is disappearing (I also have psoriasis, it cleared up), my carb addiction is pretty much gone, I'm pretty satiated all day, bowel movements seem to be improving (ironically so, since I don't eat any fiber), I sleep more deeply, and to be honest I don't think my tinnitus has ever been better.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. cry_of_the_w1nd
      Blah

cry_of_the_w1nd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection
      Basically keto diet eh? I have several tones in my ear after Augmentin and Cephalexin two weeks ago. I might try this.

• Like Like x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ricky Demetro

Ricky Demetro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Hello all,

I've been on the Carnivore diet for about 2.5 months and I'm coping with my tinnitus a lot better. It seems a LOT less aggravated, and I barely think about it anymore (I have been a sufferer for 10 years, with periods of tinnitus spikes and remission. Just got over a bad spike 4 months ago).

It's too soon to say if the Carnivore Diet is helping me, but I came across an interesting article. Plant foods contain varying amounts of Salicylates, which have been linked to causing tinnitus.

https://zerocarbzen.com/salicylates/

Hope this helps. Good luck on your journeys <3

• Like Like x 1
    10. Allan Mcmillan

Allan Mcmillan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock from playing guitar with headphones
      Keep going with it and let us know how it goes :)

11. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Maybe that diet increases testosterone? Some studies suggest that high levels of testosterone raise GABA in the brain.

• Informative Informative x 3
    12. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      Could you please share them?
      I was thinking about getting on testosterone replacement therapy.

13. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      If I remember correctly Jordan Peterson got reduction in tinnitus on carnivore diet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1365-2826.1993.tb00372.x

But I read some site in Spanish long time ago.

https://www.neolifeclinic.com/blog/testosterona-la-hormona-pleiotropica/

When my tinnitus became mild I was starting to take finasteride pills. The drug lowers DHT levels but probably raises testosterone. More than 2 years later I developed the enigmatic Post Finasteride Syndrome (2 years later I am only partially recovered), and during the worst part of the withdrawal I went to the concert that gave me severe tinnitus. Weird thing!

15. Auron
      Pacman

Auron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Spring
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      I have been really been thinking about going on a short water fast (3 days) followed by intermittent fasting + carnivore diet after that. I read testimony of others clamming that it has healed their bodies of many aliments, of course many people who go vegan also report same said improvements.

My biggest concern is my inner ear / middle ear condition and my cochlea (I know cochlea hairs/synapse wont heal), I don't know how much damage has been done and if my body can heal itself.

Has anyone tried it with any success? And how long did you do it before you saw results? Or is there a better, more ideal diet instead?

• Like Like x 1
    16. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't think a carnivore only diet is healthy and cannot be done long term, mix fruits and greens as well.

I have not done water fasting.

Do you have a link to the source?

17. Allan Mcmillan

Allan Mcmillan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've seen a couple anecdotal reports with that. Why don't you try it out and see how it goes?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. foam

foam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes lots of people have success on the Carnivore diet with Tinnitus, I think it's because it gives the body the ability to balance itself without having to deal with allergies and anti nutrients. But not all carnivore diets are the same and not all Tinnitus is the same.

19. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      It definitely CAN be done, and there seems to be no negative health effects. The only importance is (and it's a big one) to keep track of, and eat a minimum amount of, fats and protein.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Allan Mcmillan

Allan Mcmillan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Yep, eat steak and organ meats while you're at it

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What gave you that impression? I don't see any scientific study making any such claim.

22. foam

foam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There's no scientific studies on the Carnivore diet yet is there? I follow quite a few carnivore dieters though. Tinnitus is often mentioned in personal success's.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I've seen quite a few stories by people trying the carnivore diet saying it did nothing for their tinnitus. But why not give it a try? Vegan, vegan + gluten-free, and now keto (without processed sugar, gluten & dairy) have had no impact on my tinnitus but might work for other people.

• Like Like x 1
    24. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      If you trust anecdata, peruse this forum and you'll discover lots of cures, from curcumin to sea anemones, saffron included, not to mention acupuncture and some herbal remedies from "ancient cultures". So many options available!

Given that T gets better naturally for the majority of sufferers (see https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-many-recover-3-studies.21441/ ) we should be careful about establishing causality from anecdotal evidence.

So no, I haven't found scientifically established causality between carnivore diet and T improvements.

• Like Like x 1
    25. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?
      I tried this diet, but it didn't do anything to me to be honest, I only tried 2 weeks, but I felt a lot of tension when eating that much meat as if I was too energetic all the time. My Testosterone is always way way too high and I have T since 20 years ... the only thing to seems to help is less stress, more sleep and emotional balance for me

26. Stan M

Stan M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wish I knew
      I tried it for one month - carnivore diet. Did not help. It was an easy diet, I ate mostly 80 20 hamburger. (20% fat) Liked it a lot, never got hungry, lost some weight. But stopped when no improvement. By the way, I was mostly vegan for a year and more before I got my tinnitus. 'Mostly' means one meal a week I ate whatever I wanted, and that usually included meat.

27. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      In theory the ideal diet for T and H should include lots of vitamins (B12 and B6, omega 3) and antioxidants, and folate (spinach, sunflowers seeds, asparagus etc). Basically fish, fruit, vegetables and dry fruits. Green tea also seems to work.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ricky Demetro

Ricky Demetro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Hey everyone, I used to get pretty traumatizing tinnitus spikes every 2 or 3 months or so... then I started the carnivore diet in March of last year. I do cheat on the diet sometimes--but I am happy to say that I am spike free since starting it. Of course my baseline tinnitus is still there, but I'm used to that. It feels good to not be totally derailed every few months.

Check out Frank Tufano on YouTube. He does not talk about tinnitus specifically, but I follow all of his diet advice as much as I can. My depression and energy levels have also improved a lot, which may go hand in hand with tinnitus.

Good luck to everyone!!!

• Like Like x 2
    29. BrianW.

BrianW. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I love that man (Jordan Peterson).

I've had tinnitus for two weeks. One of my first google searches was: "Jordan Peterson tinnitus"

30. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Interesting that you should bring up Jordan Peterson. I just saw this:

"it was something of a surprise to learn, in early February, that Peterson had spent eight days in a medically induced coma at an unnamed clinic in Russia. Peterson’s daughter Mikhaila, a 28-year-old food blogger, posted a brief but dramatic video claiming that she and her father had traveled to Russia in early January seeking an unorthodox treatment for his physical dependence on the drug clonazepam"

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1