Cervical MRI, Ear Muffs Not Allowed

Discussion in 'Support' started by Anima, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma/metronidazole+kanamycin
      Hi, I should get a cervical MRI but I’ve been told that only ear plugs are allowed, due the ear muffs don’t fit in the head holder that they use for head and neck MRI’s.

My tinnitus is extremely reactive to noise and I’ll have to skip the procedure if I can’t wear the muffs for extra protection.

How can this be possible?

I told the doctor that I would use specially MRI made ear muffs, but he said they won’t fit no matter the size.

I would be very grateful to those who want to share any experience similar to mine. I consider that the risk of an aggravation is too high, so I’m afraid I’m going to give up if they keep refusing my claim. I can’t believe that only ear plugs are allowed.

What about the noise transmitted through the bonds, why such a little empathy with tinnitus afflicted people?

In order to get my right to protect my health honoured, I would like to get information concerning other countries about procedures of the same kind.

Your comments are welcome. Thank you.

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Anima For a cervical MRI they can use an open foam platform with a slight indentation where headphones can be used.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      You might want to check what machines they use in the big cities of your country, Madrid and maybe Barcelona. Maybe in their hospitals and clinics there is a wider choice of MRI machines than in the Baleares.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Greg, thanks so much for your information. I’m going to go to the hospital and talk to the doctor about it and, if he still refuses the ear muffs, I’ll take steps. I really appreciate your reply. I'll update.

Best regards.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Julien, I don't think so, It's one of the best hospitals in Spain with a very sophisticated equipment, but I'm going to check out about the open foam platform that Greg Sacramento mentions or take further steps. Thanks for your reply.
      Best regards.

• Like Like x 1
    6. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      But you don't know so. Other clinics may have MRI machines that accommodate earmuffs. Call around, if this is an option for you.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TuneOut, I've already done this and the answer was neagtive. Thanks for your reply though.

8. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Anima Sometimes it's possible to work around getting a cervical MRI by other testing methods.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Greg, I’m expecting a reply to the complain that I’ve addressed to the Hospital management. They have three different MRI machines and it’s unacceptable that they don’t programme ear protection beyond a simple pair of ear plugs in any of them. I would very much like to know which are these other testing methods that you suggest, if you don’t mind, so I can go for a safer alternative. Thank you for your concern.

10. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Anima I feel that we should be as kind and gentle when talking to another about their conditions and more so when tests, treatments and medical concerns/care are part of the discussion. I among many others post a little negative in saying we don't need to be told to just live with it.

Your neurosurgeon told you that he doesn't think that it's your neck. Many of us here feel that a team effort needs to made, especially with physical tinnitus. I don't think that's negative in saying sometimes we can't accept just one doctor's opinion. So I agree with you to proceed in updating radiological testing. You had a MRI that diagnosed slipped discs from C3 to C7 - 14 years ago. Osteoarthritis and disc stenosis has developed. You said that when you turn your head extremely left or right or bend your head forward your T increases. There are treatments that may help and we can discuss more about that later depending on what new radiology examination shows. A neck CT beyond x rays may be a justified test for your conditions. They are more quiet that a MRI where you were told no headphones. Earplugs can be used for a CT. Below is a list of tests and treatments.

http://www.wcb.ny.gov/content/main/hcpp/MedicalTreatmentGuidelines/NeckInjuryMTG2014.pdf

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I know that ear muffs are used for MRIs of the head. Why should it be different at cervical MRIs?? :dunno:

12. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      I did a cervical mri à few months ago on a 1.5T machine. I used both foam plugs and ear muffs (ear muffs were supplied by hospital). They also wedged foam between the head cage and muffs to make them a snug fit. I would ask again about using ear muffs. I wouldn't do the scan with only ear plugs as some of the scan sequences are very loud.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Greg, I really appreciate your concern and thank you very much for your words and all the valuable information that you provide. No reply yet from the Hospital, but if I don’t get a satisfaction to my request, I will file a lawsuit for professional misconduct and discrimination. Things like this should not happen in a 1.200 million € public hospital, so I’m ready to go all the way.

I’ll update you on the process. Warm regards.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, why should it be different? This is my question too. Spain is different, my friend.
      Thanks for your reply.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blue, I know the sequences can be very loud, that's why I demand ear muffs and foam plugs for an extra protection. Your hospital do the right thing, provide you with ear muffs, in my country they don't even provide you with ear plugs. Go figure. We both live in Europe, but Spain is too close to Africa, if you know what I mean.
      Thank you for your reply.

• Like Like x 1