Chloramphenicol Ointment: Is It Safe to Use? Any Risk for Hearing/Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by unknownpleasures, Feb 18, 2020.

1. unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all,

I suffer from blepharitis and my eyes have flared up for the first time in a very long time. I have been prescribed Chloramphenicol eye drops. Are these safe to use with tinnitus as doc as said to only put on lid margin so soaks in eye. It's an antibiotic which is why I am a little concerned.

Hope someone can advise as want to help my eyes before they get worse.

Thanks in advance.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to bump this but can anyone help as my eyes are still bad? Thanks.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      unknownpleasures
      Tired

unknownpleasures Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi All,

After recently posting that things had been going a bit better, things have taken a turn for the worse.

I posted about using antibiotic eye ointment and if they would have any effect on tinnitus. My doctor said the chloramphenicol ointment would have no impact on my tinnitus and the chemist said the same. I put off using the eye drops through fear of making things worse. After two days of worry and stress, I finally used the ointment as my eyes were bad but worried like hell and kept listening for tinnitus getting worse which it did and has thereafter. After three days of using less than the stated dose, I gave up on the eye drops and have been treating my eyes with a natural approach.

I have now had a spike for since Friday afternoon but do get periods of quiet but it seems to come back. I am worried I have messed ears with the ointment despite being told it should be fine. Do you agree or like I usually do, do you think I have stressed myself out worrying about using the eye drops and in turn the stress and anxiety have fuelled the spike? I can't find anything online really stating the ointment I used is ototoxic if used in the eyes but I am in a very dark place right now and need some reassurance.

I did take NAC 1000 mg for the first day I used eye drops for some protection but can't remember if I did for the second day but did for the other two days I used the ointment.

Thanks in advance for any advice etc as I really need to right now as I am really struggling to keep things together.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Welclose

Welclose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/01/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post operation
      Also experiencing an increase after first use of this ointment.