Concussion Like Symptoms from Loud Noise

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dmitriy, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Dmitriy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      Has anyone heard of concussion like symptoms after loud noise. I got my tinnitus from loud gun firing, but I have additional symptoms that are more like concussion.

I have pressure on back of my head, headache that start in the back and may go to the front of the head.

Sometimes I also get this momentary "pressure" that causes my hearing to drop. This happens for a second or so, and feels very weird, feel like it's affecting my vision as well.

Anyway, I am concerned about what is going on my head. My tinnitus is mostly static noise when it's really quite, but if it is quite it can start to rage which makes me think it's blocking all other noises.

Going to MRI on Sep 29th.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      For sure loud noise can cause these symptoms, I was exposed too a very powerful external alarm sounder which left me with balance problems, tinnitus, headaches and of course anxiety, depression and dark thoughts.
      Thankfully, after a year all these symptoms gradually faded away on their own, it takes a long time.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      Wow, that was some alarm. Good to hear that these go away eventually. What kind of T did you have?

4. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      It was a high pitched pinging, ringing, hissing. It was terrible, have a look at my previous posts to see just how bad a place I was in, even when I read my posts back I cannot believe I wrote them!

I was in a terrible state and never want to be that way again, at the time I was sure I would not recover but thankfully I did. I am still not totally recovered but would say I am 95% Most of the time I'm fine, I can't hear any tinnitus even in a quiet room, I do experience fleeting tinnitus on a much more regular basis than I used to but thankfully it goes away in about 1 minute or so.
      All the distortion I had when listening to music has gone and I can enjoy music again. The horrible extra sway feeling I had almost like positional vertigo has gone.

I will always be very aware of loud noise and I won't be taking risks. If a police car or ambulance screams by I cover my ears.

The thing is, it can and does get better, it's not a few months but many many months or years. It does get better though.

Jason :)

• Like Like x 1
    5. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      @Jason C ,
      I remember your early posts here. I was afraid your family was going yo lose you! I am so glad that things have improved so much for you. You are very lucky!

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Glad you're doing better @Jason C! That was touch and go for a while there for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      Jason, so did you habituate or is your T actually going away?

8. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      95% of the time it's gone, even if I plug my ears and listen for it. The T I had was very bothersome, high pitched, pinging, chirping, ringing, music and sounds all distorted. I'll never forget it. I don't believe I could have habituated to that, it was constant and very depressing, it was a good year in before it eased up and then got better and better over a matter months.
      Now I would get fleeting tinnitus maybe a couple of times a week but it passes quickly.
      In a quiet room it's gone. Music sounds normal again.

Another point to note, I tested my own hearing on my own equipment using the same tests in the same situations, 6 months after my acoustic trauma my left ear could not hear above 11k my right ear was better and could hear up too 13k

Now, 16 months after the trauma my left ear can hear up to 15k and my right ear 17k.

Study's show hearing damage does not repair in humans but it does and it can, maybe not 100% but it does improve. Mine sure has and that is something I will be very very careful with moving forward.

Never give up hope.

Jason.