Conductive Hearing Loss: Can It Affect Regular Hearing Too?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hariz Nonis, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm going through Stapedial Myoclonus/Dysacusis in my right ear at the moment. A Weber Test revealed that my right ear is having conductive hearing loss. Attached is my hearing test results. My regular hearing on the right also seems to be "not so good". I recently found out that my right ear doesn't hear certain high pitched sounds as well as my left. I've never noticed this before having my current issue. So I think they might be related.

Can one's regular hearing be affected by conductive hearing loss?

Attached Files:

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes of course: your hearing is made of conductive + sensorineural components. Any of those affect the overall hearing.

3. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      Exactly. People have had tinnitus that turned out to be nothing more than wax buildup.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    5. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Yes, but on the plus side it also means probably isn't lost hearing as such from a sensorioneural point of view. Your middle ear is just being lame. I had a similar experience when my tensor tympani would cramp up. It would leave me without much low end hearing in the affected ear and made things sound weird. Once it somehow decides to calm down and resolve itself, it should hopefully be ok. It took me almost a year and a half to mostly go into remission...

I had wax build up for probably a long time (maybe years?) with no tinnitus. Until I decided to use some over the counter ear drops and a whole lot of misfortune as a result came my way.

• Winner Winner x 1
    6. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      Hariz - once the conductive loss is resolved, one would assume so.

I've read a few wax horror stories here. Luckily, I have a great audiologist who uses curettes and a camera. If I ever need wax taken out, again, I know where to go. He even got a piece of clear/white silicone out from a plug I'd used that the ENT and GP completely missed.

• Like Like x 2
    7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Conductive losses don't always get better: if it's wax, it can be removed, but if it's otosclerosis, it requires surgery. If it's something else, such as a perforated ear drum or some malformation of ossicles, who knows.

You need to find out the root cause for your conductive losses.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1