Dad Sick — Tinnitus Spiking Big Time

Discussion in 'Support' started by Purple Parrot, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      Hi guys,

I just found out yesterday that my Dad needs urgent bypass surgery for severe coronary artery disease. He's one of the fittest people that I know, so it's a real shock. They're keeping in hospital until the surgery takes place (likely to be in the next week or so). He doesn't live in the same city as me and I work full time as a government lawyer, which is going to make things tricky. Thankfully they do have remote access options at my work, so I could potentially work remotely and be down there for at least a short stint. He lives by himself too, so I'm worried about who is going to look after him when he recovers.

My tinnitus has gone absolutely bananas and is pretty much the loudest it's ever been. I assume the shock and stress set it off.

Hugs, support, advice, reassurance - all would be very much appreciated!

PP

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      What if he dies during the surgery? Get yourself there to see him

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Of course I'm going to see him.

Thanks for the reassurance....:facepalm:

4. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I wish you to raise up to the challenge. If he is fit he will be strong enough to go through the sugery, it mostly depends on the doctors.. I wish you that the doctors will do a good job. I can imagine that your T is louder than ever, but while it is screaming at you remember that it's just a phase. T will go down when you will see your father doing well after the surgery.
      As to how long it is necessary to take care of him and work from his house, that remains to be to be seen. Do not try to find all the answers to all the questions that are assaulting you now. Time will tell. Things will become clear as they unfold.
      Because your T raised so much with this stress, I think most of it is due to anxiety than to loud music. The anxiety T component is stronger than the other component of T. From what I know T from noise exposure does not fluctuate that much with stress. You can look on the good side of that and after this stress is over you should look at ways to decompress more and hopefully lower your T.
      I wish your father good luck and to go through this with as little pain as possible and a speedy recovery. I think now, when you are worried about everything your stress is maximum, but once you get to the hospital and will see your dad and you will be surrounded by people, you will feel better.
      Be proud that you will take care of your father after the surgery, it is an occasion to express as a son your love and gratitude for what he has done for you!
      If you need support on the way, remember that we will be beside you and we will understand you from the angle of other T sufferers, so we get the whole picture of your hardship.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm a daughter, hehe, but thanks nonetheless. :) An only child at that...

The tinnitus has gone down somewhat today. Honestly though, I would be fine with the tinnitus going up in volume if someone could promise me Dad was going to be OK! :(

Dad is extremely fit...he plays ice hockey every week (in a team of people 30 years his junior) and does competitive figure skating. I'm hoping his fitness will stand him in good stead for the surgery.

I'm headed down south next weekend to see him and will need to stay a while after that.

6. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      We are sure of that. That is the hard part, that nobody can do that. Difficult days, but they will pass.
      Impressive, to say the least. Fingers crossed for him!
      He is certainly going into this from a way better starting block than the rest, no doubt about it.
      Just when I was pleasantly surprised to see there are such good sons on the planet too, I hear you are a daughter! Oh, well!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Thinking of you at this worrying time for you and your dad.
      I totally understand how your tinnitus will be as stress is a big factor and recently been through a hard family time also.
      Sending lots of hugs to you and prayers that all goes well ....lots of love glynis x

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      My dad had the same a few years ago,
      dont worry, hes gonna be okey!
      you are stronger thank you think

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1