Dairy Free Diet to Alleviate Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, May 23, 2020.

1. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I started a dairy free diet about 15 days ago, to see if it could have a positive effect on my hyperacusis. I have chronic sinus issues also, that could contribute to my hyperacusis severity, and dairy can be the cause of sinus problems... and eye problems (I have floaters and several other eye issues), so there's also that.

About 5-6 days ago I was starting to see an effect on my hyperacusis, where it was noticeably better... Today I have a small spike though, but my period has also just started, and I have a period related headache, so that might be he cause of the spiking... I'm hoping it will go down again.

I am planning on giving it at least 4 week on the dairy free diet, maybe more, and I'll report my results in this thread. Hopefully somebody will find it useful.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      Good luck, keep us posted!

Slightly off-topic question: does your period have any positive or negative effects on your T and/or H?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, and I sure will do that.

To answer your questions: My hyperacusis is spiking a bit during this period, but in the past I haven't found any noticeable effect on my hyperacusis during a period. Sometimes a very slight negative effect, but only intermittent and not 24/7 all through my period.

My usual tinnitus doesn't spike around the start of my period, BUT I do get an extra very-low frequency buzzing in my left ear, every month at the start of my period. It is intermittent and lasts about 2 weeks, and then it fades away...until the start of my next period. Very weird.

4. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      Question - what all things are you avoiding in dairy, in particular?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      All kind of dairy products including yoghurt, cheese, milk chocolate, ice cream, butter etc. I do eat some products which are marked with "This product could contain traces of milk" though. I figure that potentially tiny bit, won't make a difference (and so says a family member of mine, who is vegan and actually encouraged me to try a dairy free diet)

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Irish

Irish Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music from nightclub
      Hi @TheDanishGirl , thanks for the interesting post, let us know how it goes, I consume a lot of dairy and have somewhat tolerable but unpleasant and annoying Hyperacusis

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll sure keep you posted. I'm still spiking a bit, although I think it's gone down a tiny bit.

I do have to add that I have pain hyperacusis where sounds hurt in my ears, not loudness hyperacusis. Just want to make that clear. I'm not sure if a no-dairy diet could have effect on loudness hyperacusis.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      For me there are some food items that help to feel better, but there aren't many items that make me feel worse.

There is some literature saying that dairy products are inflammatory, or that one should avoid chocolate and things like that.

So the conclusion I draw from personal evidence is that some anti-inflammatory food and food that contains antioxidants can make people feel better. But that the food items that in theory make ringing or H worse do not really affect me that much.

There are 2 exceptions, 2 things that sometimes (not always) make the ringing spike just a bit, and temporarily, and this are alcohol (the odd beer) and, very rarely, coffee. Other than that I didn't find any connection between food and ringing spikes.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In terms of tinnitus spiking from food the only thing I have found that affects mine negatively is caffeine - but I never tolerated caffeine well. Even before tinnitus/hyperacusis, I got racing heartbeat and increased anxiety from it (I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder). Luckily I don't like the taste of coffee. Sometimes excessive amounts of salty food has also spiked it a bit, but that doesn't happen always. I very rarely drink alcohol these days, but the few times I did drink a bit, it either decreased my tinnitus a bit or made no difference to it.

But yes dairy is inflammatory and can be the cause quite a number of problems in the body actually. Hyperacusis with pain (which is what I have) I read could have something to do with inflammation in the inner ear. Not that that's the only problem, but bringing down the inflammation in the body, could potentially make it a lot better, and that's what I am experimenting with going dairy free. Anyways it's still early days and I plan on giving it more than a month.

• Informative Informative x 2
    10. ryand
      Artistic

ryand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Maybe Dec 2015 - the buzz was low prior
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diet or TMJ Jaw Inflammation and Clenching??
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, it didn't help my hyperacusis. It's been pretty bad lately. But I feel dairy free diet does help a bit with my anxiety levels and general well being, so I'm sticking with it.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I use dairy products and they do not alter my hyperacusis and tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Aaron91
      Gloomy

Aaron91 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/headphones/concerts - Hyperacusis from motorbike
      Just for the benefit of having another data point, I went vegan a few months ago for about 4-5 weeks to see if it would do anything for my hyperacusis. It didn't.

• Informative Informative x 4
    14. ryand
      Artistic

ryand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Maybe Dec 2015 - the buzz was low prior
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diet or TMJ Jaw Inflammation and Clenching??
      No doubt in my mind there's a dairy, casein protein or gluten correlation with Inflammation causing in increased tinnitus pitch and volume. I've been 3 days off dairy, gluten, and red wine. My tinnitus is now about 4/10 vs 8/10.

I start the process of testing for caseine at 3pm today.

I'm so encouraged that my next step is going to lower salicylates big time.

Salicylate toxicity model of tinnitus

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1