Describe Your Hyperacusis / Noxacusis Symptoms

Discussion in 'Support' started by bill 112, Apr 15, 2016.

1. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I would just like anyone here with hyperacusis / noxacusis to describe their symptoms and how you developed them.
      • Do you experience headaches?
      • Do things seem louder to you?
      • Do you have ear pain?
      • Do you have jaw and/or facial pain?
      • Or a combination of all above?
      • Do you get brain shocks from certain noises?
      All info will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

2. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      I had H 8 days after my acoustic trauma. I had facial & jaw pain but now I sleep with a gutter in my mouth. I had big headache during 3 months. I have ear pain my main problem.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I've had my H for 2 weeks From an accoustic Shock too

Mostly sound shocks, here but no pain - the shocks are from metallic sounds and from higher frequencies , oddly it seems to keep my tinnitus at bay though... At least for the moment .

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      Relatively consistent H since 4/2012
      Highs and lows in conjunction with T spikes.
      The best way I put it is my ears react to certain relatively not-loud sounds as if these sounds were extremely loud.
      Phones/headphones are the worst.
      Close range sound waves (ie computer monitors right in front vs say a TV at the same volume) are more aggravating.

The feeling is a combination of brief pain/nerve reaction.

5. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      Tinnitus in both ears with pain and fullness. At times, I also get a throbbing/vibrating feeling in my ear that is accompanied with an increase in ringing. I also have popping upon moving my jaw. I get consistently get headaches and jaw pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      @bill 112 whats worse T or H I will swap

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      H hands down is worse than any tinnitus,you don't want H Cillian believe me you don't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      Is the throbbing reactive to certain sounds?
      I have at times had a pronounced thumping/fluttering in one ear - and it took me a long time to realize it wasn't random, but caused by sounds like the bathroom fan or a spot in my kitchen that reflected the fan in the fridge..
      Pretty sure this is myoclonus or some tympanic disease..

9. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't think it is reactive to sounds. I'll have to pay more attention to the timing of it. I am more in shock about the sensation, so not focusing on what might be causing it. How did you realize your was set off by sound types?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      @jeanoroid the thumps you hear is a myclonus.I experience this too like for example,if I sit in a dead silent room and I drop a coin on the ground my ears thump in reaction to the sound of the coin hitting the ground,almost like someone tugging on your ear.For along time I didn't know what this was until my ears began fluttering one night for maybe twenty minutes after I done the coin experiment.I could pin point exactly what was causing it and it was my middle ear muscles.When I applied pressure behind my ears with my fingers it stopped but when I removed my fingers it started again.Its just another crazy H symptom.

11. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      It finally dawned on me that it happened in the same places each time. I was subconsciously avoiding the spot in the kitchen and bathroom where this happened. Finally the light bulb went on and I tested my "theory" and it was correct.
      I also found that if my dog is snoring at night it can cause a bit of fluttering.
      Bizarrely, I could cover my left ear (the one that flutters) and hear the sound with my right ear and it would still flutter in my left.
      Cover both ears and no flutter. How weird is that?

• Useful Useful x 1
    12. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I will certainly be keeping track of what is happening around me now when it happens. Funny you mention the fluttering sensation because I can get and increase in tinnitus in my left ear. Then, shake or rub the left ear and the increase drops, and I feel a sensation (muscle movement) in my right ear sometimes.

13. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      @Ears Hurt i feel that muscle movement in my ear too feels like a fly or something moving in my ear

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Cillian Yes, I describe it sometimes like the feeling of bugs crawling in my ear, but it is more of a muscle movement. Its very odd feeling. Good to compare and have more similarities.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      @Ears Hurt i also get a weird feeling like my ear bending when I sometimes hear a loud noise

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
    17. TeresaD
      Fine

TeresaD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have moderate T that spikes with H onset. My H comes and goes. Along with H onset, I have like an electrical hum that I consider my worst symptom. Ear fullness with mild pain in right ear only. Headaches that seem to stem from my neck. Noises like fans, the AC, toilet flush, shower airplanes, idling vehicles, my husband's voice (which is gravelly) are hell. I also get the fluttering sensation and sometimes feel like my ear is continually popping. Crazy stuff!

@jeanoroid that video is disturbing, but if it took away my symptoms, I'd be willing to go through it!!

• Like Like x 2
    18. Anne_1994
      Curious

Anne_1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have hyperacusis, but slight tinnitus
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis- ear syringing
      I had blocked ears for a few weeks. I went to the nurse and she syringed them (no choice but to syringe them unfortunately, ears could not have been unblocked any other way ie- ear drops :( ) After syringing I noticed that a lot of sounds seemed louder and more piercing in my ears, especially when driving. Things such as doors opening, paper, crisp packet, turning on the gas cooker, setting down glasses or handling plates and more sounds are slightly uncomfortable. Even though I know people are talking it sounds a lot louder now. I looked this up and found that i must have hyperacusis, I've had H for two days now, hoping it gets better with time. Can anyone offer advice when it is ok to start going to a nightclub again, or if this sensitivity to sound will die down within the next few months?!!

19. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      Two days isn't enough time to establish anything.
      Just be sure that if you go clubbing again to wear legitimate hearing protection.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      The fact that your ears were blocked for so long could explain the temporary H your experiencing now.Your auditory system was probably deprived of sound and now that your ears are clear again everything seems jarringly loud.It should settle but I would avoid nightclubs regardless just in case.

Also when I was 14 my ears were blocked for two weeks straight when I had them irrigated.Afterwards everything was so loud for about 5 days before settling.Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Anne_1994
      Curious

Anne_1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have hyperacusis, but slight tinnitus
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis- ear syringing
      Helped a lot thank you!!:)

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Hunszi
      Alone

Hunszi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 (got worse in 20,21)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My H and pain came after a party, even though I`ve prepared and I wore proper 30db ear plugs...next day I started to feel weird when I heard different noises, my problem not the H itself, but the constant ear pain. Even if I`m sitting in a complete silence place my ears are hurt without any reason...this thing is just bullshit, T then H then ear pain...what will come? G damn it...

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. MoreThanOneRoad

MoreThanOneRoad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Various/Ongoing/Subacute
      I have had H and T pretty bad now for almost three months. I'm on my fourth run of Prednisone. Initially I thought it might be AIED; but two hearing tests over a month apart are almost identical (and pretty good), and my otologist says that pretty much rules out AIED. What is really bad now is the H; I can't tolerate sounds over 55dB and have to wear earplugs all the time. The sensation (without earplugs on) from something like washing the dishes is like thunder and lightning. Flushing the toilet is like a twenty-foot ocean wave crashing. It's painful, too. Also: I can hear and feel a truck parking two blocks away. I don't understand the sensations, really…it's as if something is moving inside my skull near my ear when I receive these sounds. As others have noted, H is FAR worse than T. But whatever my condition actually is, the H and T fluctuate a great deal; although the T is much, much stronger (most of the time) in my left ear.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Mine is very, very close to what Teresa D described. I think hyperacusis can be full spectrum of sound, or it can become apparent in sounds that contain specific frequencies. Basically, the damage it reflects can occur anywhere on the continuum of sound and frequency perception.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Does anyone here experience migraines or pressure on their head also?

26. Irish

Irish Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music from nightclub
      I have what is probably be considered mild to moderate hyperacusis, I could tolerate up to 90dB briefly when I went to the audiologist (but that was crazily loud and extremely unconfortable, so I would say my LDL is probably closer to 70dB rather than 90dB).
      It's a bloody nuisance even though I have adapted somewhat to it.
      I try not to wear ear plugs unless it's genuinely loud.
      For instance in the canteen where I work, it can be over a hundred people eating and talking.
      When it's busy, it's uncomfortable for me.
      Some days I'll wait til it's less busy, and other days, I'll just grin and bear the discomfort.
      What's more frustrating day in day out is the pressure/fullness in my left ear, (a little in my right too but not bad)it's accompanied by some clicking and pain in (what feels like) my ear canal area.
      Strangely, it's gotten worse as my tinnitus has eased over the last two to three months.
      I feel like I could handle the H and work on improving it with nutrition and TRT if I could just lessen or resolve the fullness (and at times pain too) in my ear.
      I've noticed as well that if I speak above a certain volume, it's uncomfortable in both ears, especially the left, and can be slightly painful too.
      Not fun, but I know it's not as bad as a lot of people on here have it, so am trying to be positive and do all the right things and hopefully it will improve as the weeks and months go by.

27. Ring Ding

Ring Ding Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I recently came down with H and worse tinnitus about 9 weeks ago. Previous to that I have moderate tinnitus that I was totally habituated to.

My Tinnitus has become very loud and almost impossible to ignore the way I used to. it sits on top of all other sounds most of the time. I have noticed that It has gotten louder in my right ear. Hard to tell if it's all the time or not. Someone just opened a reem of paper next to me and the ear that was facing it certainly has an increased T sound now.

As far as the H goes ...I have fullness alll the time in both ears but one seems to be worse than the other. My ears also feel closed and everything sounds funny. I am currently hearing better out of one ear than the other. My left ear is a bit more sensitive than the right and when noises it doesn't like hit it it closes up even more and I can barely hear out of it. It will also then begin to feel like a q tip or something was left jammed inside there. I also get clicking type noises when chewing and swallowing. ( could this be eustachian tube problem ?) Also noticing that when I went swimming the water was getting trapped inside of my ears and that never used to happen to me before ( could that also be the tubes ?) There is also pain and a feeling that my ears are being stretched and always feel very tense.

I am sometimes feeling like I am handling certain noises a little better already but man you never know whats going to set you off.

Do those of you with H also have fullness feeling all the time or could that pass at some point ?

Also curious if when your H gets triggered if you tinnitus seems any worse ?

I am really curious what will happen when all the fullness and blocked feelings go away. I am wondering if the blocked feeling and reduction in hearing is the reason the t always seems so much louder. I hope that the tinnitus will die down a bit. I could live with it if it was slightly a little better. Right now it is a constant torture as well as the H.

I didn't know how good I had it before. I was living life like Tinnitus wasn't even a part of my life.

I should also note I was mercury poisoned by a vaccine about a year and a half ago and was very sick and weak.
      I have recovered a lot from that but I wonder if this whole mess is because my body is in general in a more weakened state ?

28. Irish

Irish Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music from nightclub
      @Ring Ding I'm no expert, but just going from the threads I've been reading on here and from my own experimentation as well, I think there are definitely things you can do that would improve your current situation with the worseded tinnitus.
      Check these threads, I think they could help you:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-tinnitus-is-completely-gone.16169/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...-—-new-protocols-and-supplements-to-try.6514/

I also recommend that you get yourself a good quality probiotic and start taking it daily, I use this one:
      http://www.udoschoice.ie/udo-s-feature-products/udo-s-choicer-super-8-microbiotic-30-caps.html
      There's plenty of other recommendations in those two threads, the neti pot is a simple one, I've just started using it myself so it's too early to tell how effective it will be, but I'll keep it up and hopefully there will be an improvement in my ear blocking/fullness (may be a eustachian tube issue).
      I'm also going to see an osteopath soon who performs cranial massage, this can also give some relief for tinnitus or ETD sufferers, even helping to resolve ear problems for some people.
      These are just a few suggestions, I'm sure there are plenty more if you search around on the forum.
      Best of luck with your recovery and try to stay positive, many people have seen significant improvements and even total resolution of their T, H and related issues over time, there's always hope, just keeping doing the right things, good clean diet, exercise, massage of neck/head area, neti pot, sleep is also important, TRT can also help, etc

29. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      My hearing is generally fine.

My right ear is PERFECTLY healthy, with maybe ONLY a 15 dB loss at 6kHz. Other than that the hearing threshold is 0dB up to 16 kHz, where it is 15dB. However, I hear a warbling, metallic whistle that changes millisecond-to-millisecond. If I press my hand over the ear and push, putting air pressure on the eardrum, the sound changes to a single tone and gets quieter.

I have a horrible burning, numb, aching, throbbing pain in my left ear that has 10-15 dB hearing loss around 4kHz. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like the skin inside my ear canal is sunburned, dry, and tight, and the middle ear has a little water in it.

I swear, it's like my brain literally can't deal with ANY hearing loss. It can't adjust to reduced input without jacking up the volume of the lost frequencies in my ear, producing horrific tinnitus.

I personally know people who have 45dB hearing loss in the same ranges as me who have NO issues. No pain, no tinnitus, no nothing. But me? I lose a tiny amount of hairs in my cochlea, still far within the range of having "normal" hearing, and that's it man. Game over. Tinnitus, fullness, and pain for life.

My hearing is still very good, I'm wearing noise-canceling headphones listening to loud music right now and I just heard my mother calling my name from through the floor clear as day. I didn't have to strain to hear it through the music.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Ring Ding

Ring Ding Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

Wow thanks for all the info. Any idea how you would get ETD diagnosed, I certainly can feel things going on with them. Right after the concert where all these symptoms started I ended up getting a really bad cold and i could feel the congestion inside the tubes. It's something I never ever experienced before but i could tell it was happening. So far the two doctors I saw didn't even pay attention to me talking about it. I certainly feel this is also why water is getting trapped in there when I go swimming. Since I'm dealing with the hyperacusis issueas well I notice that the times when I remove my ear plugs makes the pressure in my ears increase. I can hear a noise when I swallow in both ears and it sounds like fluid in the tubes. I also can't get my ears to pop. One is closer than the other but this also correlates to the ear that feels more blocked and doesn't hear as well is also the ear that seems to be less close to popping.

For the nasal steroids do I have to get them from a doctor ?