Do I Have Objective Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tempest, May 18, 2018.

1. Tempest
      Tired

Tempest Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Okay, so...I've had this chirping sound in my right ear since my acoustic trauma (though I also got a constant tone if I plug my ears, but that's a different issue). Couple days ago, just for the heck of it, I did put a recording device next to my ear and Lord behold, I think I got something recorded.

Here is the recording with background noise mostly (and poorly) removed:
      http://picosong.com/wPbLP/

Do you hear the intermittent chirping/beeping/whistiling noise as well or am I crazy? If you do, then I guess I got objective tinnitus and I found something that could explain it:

"Spontaneous otoacoustic emissions (SOAE)s are sounds that are emitted from the ear without external stimulation and are measurable with sensitive microphones in the external ear canal. At least one SOAE can be detected in approx. 35-50% of the population. The sounds are frequency-stable between 500 Hz and 4500 Hz to have unstable volumes between -30 dB SPL and +10 dB SPL. The majority of the people are unaware of their SOAEs; portions of 1-9% however perceive a SOAE as an annoying tinnitus."

Though sadly, I'm not sure if there is anything more I can do to it even if it's objective.

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tempest
      Tired

Tempest Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Bump

• Like Like x 1
    3. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I have a similar issue. An occasional 4300hz chirp every 10 seconds. I don't know if this means something can be done about it though.

• Like Like x 1
    4. SillyMama
      Cheerful

SillyMama Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hear this as well. It's taken me 16 months to figure out that my chirping sounds *may* be objective tinnitus. Mine is intermittent, and gets better/or worse with different head/neck positions. I've been reading lately about Palatal Myoclonus and Middle Ear Myoclonus. Still hopeful I'll find some kind of intervention.

5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @SillyMama your mentions of jerking eyes and tinnitus better/ or worse with different head/neck positions may start with cervical spondylosis – neck arthritis where bony growths may compress the vertebral arteries. Together or with very little age progression spondylosis - the vertebral arteries may indicate some age atherosclerosis of the carotid artery resulting in chirping sounds that are often intermittent. This would not be the 'Circle of Willis'.

There's some very successful medications and treatments for this.

• Like Like x 1
    6. SillyMama
      Cheerful

SillyMama Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you VERY much, Greg! I'm off on the trail to research cervical spondylosis now. :)
      I appreciate the suggestion. That sounds like it could be a very likely contributor to my sumptoms.