Do Noise-Cancelling Headphones Help?

Discussion in 'Support' started by rod77, Apr 21, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. rod77

rod77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure; possible hereditary, possible loud music
      I'm new to tinnitus; its just whammied me hard in the last month or so and I'm really struggling.

I wake up in the middle of the night now and the ringing is so loud I cant get back to sleep. Often this has happened to me in the past, and I get up and read for awhile. However, that was before, when I could experience silence, and now I cannot.

I was wondering if getting some noise cancelling headphones to play low volume soothing sounds or light classical music would help mask the noise while I'm reading.

Could this help or would it make things worse? I'm a musician and I'm worried that I'll never be ever to use headphones again...

any help would be appreciated. I have my first audiologist appt in a couple of weeks.

2. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2013
      A better solution would be to buy open-back headphones for reading. Why do you want noise-cancelling?

3. rod77

rod77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know, I'm so new to this I just guessed they would be good. Why do you suggest open-backed phones? Are they better for masking tinnitus? I'm not arguing at all, I'm trying to figure out what my options are. Do you have any suggestions for particular models of open-backed phones?

4. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Noise cancelling headphones don't soften the noises you are experiencing with your tinnitus if that's what you mean. They only work for external steady noises like aircraft noise during a flight. Some people say that noise canceling headphones make their T worse. But I haven't experienced that. If you only want to play music at night pillow speakers would probably be more comfortable

5. rod77

rod77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I cant read in bed because the light will wake my wife up. So I go into the living room where I have a nice chair, a good lamp, and a stack of books. Hence the need for the headphones. I dont want to wake anybody else up.

6. annabel16

annabel16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      The noise cancelling headphones are great for mowing the lawn or otherwise very noisy conditions, but not necessary for reading in the house. My guess is the reason someone might think they make things worse is because if you baby your ears too much it might intensify symptoms of hyperacusis. Normal headphones played low for short periods of time should be fine inside.

I like to read in bed on my ipad, that way I don't have to worry about the light. Docs would say you're doing the better thing, though, that it's better sleep hygiene to get out of bed when you're tossing and turning.

I'm sorry for what you're going through, I know how bewildering and unbelievable those first few months are. Best to you.

7. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      Yes, they can make you more comfortable in a noisy environment. And yes, they can also aggravate tinnitus if you wear them without any music playing in a quiet environment.

If you are trying to figure whether or not to buy them then yes, you should buy a pair. They should be a part of your toolkit to tackle tinnitus. And don't be cheap. Buy the best you can afford.

8. zombiechick
      Probing

zombiechick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication and hearing loss
      I had an audiologist tell me that noise canceling devices are going to kill people's hearing and cause a spike (see what I did there) in tinnitus and hearing loss.

9. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      The problem with them is that they make you more comfortable in loud environments and less aware of the noise levels around you. You can be in a dangerously loud situation, while also adding music on top of that, which is what can cause hearing loss and tinnitus.

The best headphones to protect your ears are noise barrier instead of noise cancelling.