Do We Have These Things in Common?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mario martz, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey guys!

I know some of you are gonna find these questions pretty weird, but I want you to be honest and think about your life before tinnitus.

Before tinnitus would you consider to have been...
      • Instrospective?
      • Having self-harming type of thoughts?
      • Depressed or Anxious?
      • Having prolonged anxious thoughts?
      • Worrying too much?

Thank you!

2. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      depressed, anxiety disorder (Derealization). If I had to keep one thing for life. either Tinnitus or Derealization. I would keep my Tinnitus.
      Thats how much Derealization sucks. Unfortunately people who have never experienced DErealization dont understand.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      • I worry too much about stuff that doesn't matter. I would often analyse social interactions afterwards and see faults in things I had done and dwell on it. Stupid stuff like that, but I have found as I've gotten older this is far less significant. I've always been popular and never had any reason to think this way but my mind is that of a perfectionist. I over analyse everything.

• I was sort of depressed, but could have been considered down more than clinically depressed.

• Not too much anxiety. Probably average in this department.

• I've always been a deep thinker and very much curious about many things; such as the universe and the quantum world; why we are here etc.

• No self harming or even thoughts of it.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Im With you Zora...
      i have had episodes of Derelization, and they can be rough,
      i had one two days ago and i almost freaked, when my mom died 8 years ago, i was having them all the time
      but with time they surely get better. thank you for your reply!!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Thank you for your reply Ed!,
      i totally relate with your personality...
      with self harming thoughts i meant like those kind of thoughts that make you feel bad about yourself but you usually keep on thinking about them.
      i have found very common that before a T onset Some people are going through depression and anxiety, even some noise induced cases (not all)

6. Fretux
      Batty

Fretux Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      everything except self harming thoughts, yes :)

• Like Like x 1
    7. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      thank you for your kind words Mario :) I have DR since 1 year 24/7. i had a time of 6 months when I was the happiest person and totally relaxed. I was backpacking through Australia back then. But my DR didnt go away. like I said, If I had to keep one thing for life. DR or T. I would keep T. And this means a fucking lot.:mad:

8. trocobob

trocobob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe stress ?
      • Instrospective? : didnt understood this
      • Having self-harming type of thoughts? : Yes
      • Depressed or Anxious? : Not alot
      • Having prolonged anxious thoughts? : Yes
      • Worrying too much? : yes . exagerated

Seems that negative thinking is playing a big role on having Tinnitus ...

• Like Like x 1
    9. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      No not at all, none.

• Like Like x 1
    10. beeeep

beeeep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ~2000, but real bad since 06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Same here, happy and content, and I'm just fighting to get there again. And slowly, it's working.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Yes!
      yes i believe so, tinnitus is literally like an ringing alarm,
      yes i know it can be set off because of hair cell damage, but what about people who do have hair cell damage and no tinnitus, what makes the difference, and what trigger it?
      thanks for replying :)

12. trocobob

trocobob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe stress ?
      personnally , I still dont know the real cause of my T .
      But i undestand the many Factors have contribued on causing it:
      - Stress and Fatigue
      - Anxiety
      - Ear wax accumulations
      - Music with headphone

• Like Like x 1
    13. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      Yes on all counts.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      • Instrospective?
        - Not sure to be honest.
      • Having self-harming type of thoughts?
        - I have had once, many years prior to T, but only due to an emotional time in my life. Never before or after that period.
      • Depressed or Anxious?
        - Not at all.
      • Having prolonged anxious thoughts?
        -Nope.
      • Worrying too much?
        - Yes, but not about my life, it could be things like "what can I do to save more money this month?"

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Thanks for the Reply!
      i think that some people are more prone to tinnitus
      because of their personality
      there must be a huge relation between anxiety and the central nervious system response!

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      Yes I agree. I don't find that very surprising. There is a link between glutamate metabolism, depression, bipolarism, autism, tinnitus, and migraines among many other things.
      The key here is that an alternative glutamate metabolism in the brain correlates to them all.

We should look into it further.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      It's an interesting question, to be sure! Then again, there may be (probably are) all sorts of other co-factors/influencers, since not everyone, even in the "anxious personalities" category, gets tinnitus. For some, it ultimately gets them in stomach/intestinal tract issues, and of course there are many, many other physical manifestations of stress in the body.

But for sure, the traits you describe are strongly associated in some people with the tendency to develop tinnitus.

It's curious to me, because I've been high strung but also highly functioning my entire life. And a very very very happy person despite all sorts of emotional pain I've had to endure. Mine was acoustic trauma, but I remember in college (about 35 YEARS ago), there was this fire alarm that went off in our dorms (at least a few times a year) that, all cliches aside, truly WOULD have waken the dead. It used to make me FLY off the mattress when it happened. It sounded like your head exploded from the inside and you yourself had turned into the alarm. <<--Dramatic enough description? :) And it's TRUE!

And yet - no tinnitus from that. And none for well over 35 years.

So ... what gives?!? You COULD speculate that the recent event made tinnitus appear just because I'm "older," "have the typical age-related hearing loss," etc. but that completely does not take into account that here on this forum, there are TONS of people in their 20s/30s with it.

Then again, people in their 20s/30s probably have had more earbud music over their young lives than I did (since I grew up before all that).

So maybe it IS a combination of hidden hearing loss (which maybe lots of people in their 20s/30s THESE DAYS now have?) plus the acoustic event that triggers it, plus the predisposed anxious personality and amygdala issues. (Hah! I can just see myself walking into a restuarant and asking for the music to be lowered because, "Excuse me, sir? I have amygdala issues ... " :) :) :) Or maybe I just need to put that on a t-shirt!!! :) :) :)

Anyway, I kinda just thunk out loud here. :)

But @Mario martz , that's why I think the tai chi, chi kung, meditation, and other calming practices may be giving these anecdotal reports of lessened or disappearing tinnitus in some individuals who become dedicated practicers. Feeding your physiology and nervous system with a calming body and thought process is going to lay down some significant neural tracks in the brain. And maybe, these new neural tracks can beat the amygdala into amygdalian submission! Heh heh heh ...:sneaky:

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    18. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I suspect that these factors might predispose someone to be distressed by tinnitus, more than predisposing them to the condition to start with. Put differently, for any given illness or disease, people who are prone to depression and rumination have worse outcomes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I saw my therapist just this morning, and she said something interesting. She said that she had a theory about people whom have it easy to analyze or are being rather a logical person in general might have more issues with e.g tinnitus and anxiety because they are trying to make sense and see logic in something that most likely do not have it. I have talked about my reasoning around T and anxiety and she understands my chain of thought but that I should stop it before it spins out of "control".
      I do think that makes a lot of sense, along with that people that have had certain patterns of anxiety might be also more prone to T.

20. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      No, but after tinnitus - yes.