Do You Own a Gun?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Constable85, Jul 12, 2015.

1. I own a gun for self-defense and home defense purposes. But I'm thinking about selling it because I don't think I would ever want to shoot the gun and suffer the repercussions on my hearing now that I've got T. I mean unless I was able to somehow slip on some very protective muffs before I was attacked by somebody (impossible) I'd rather die than shoot a gun with no hearing protection and have my T get worse than it already is. I'm single without a family or children so its not like I need to protect someone else.

2. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      You can learn some self defense martial arts ( kung fu YAAAA.... just joking).

I don't know about other defense systems, in France guns are forbidden. Owning a gun for defense purpose is more an american way of thinking so don't know much about it, just that it's very loud, so i think you're right to change

maybe pepper spray?

3. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I assume you don't walk around on the street with this gun ? If you have it at home and you have sb entered it, by the time he reaches you, you might have time to put earmuffs on ( always have them around the bed , I do ).

4. Tibberz
      Supportive

Tibberz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      5 9mm Gunshots
      Bear mace is pretty effective. I'm in the same boat with the gun.

5. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I do own a gun. I'd rather have one and not need it ....than need one and not have it.

If I were experiencing what they refer to as a "Home Invasion" I would be far more concerned about them killing me than I would about the possibility of getting a T spike if I fired my weapon.

The people that commit those crimes are extrememly dangerous. They know that they are breaking into a home that is occupied and they don't care. They're always armed and usually one or two of them have hand guns.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Constable85
      Balanced

Constable85 Member Benefactor

Glock 19 & 43 here plus a shotgun. Firing a gun with no protection will result in much more than a temporary spike. And it will likely be at least 3 shots. The 3 basic rules of a gunfight are: 3 feet, 3 rounds, 3 seconds.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Constable85
      Balanced

I have several pairs of muffs all over the place: car, home, keychain plugs etc.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      You can't walk around the house with muffs on and a gun, this is silly. You need to hear exactly what the bugler is doing, where he is located, how many of them are in your home etc etc. you need your ears for all of this!! If you have your hearing blocked this puts you at a huge huge disadvantage....they will hear you coming, you won't hear them sneaking around the corner at you though. You could fire your weapon at the wrong time, not hear voices from your family members etc..the list goes on and on. You can not block your ears if you want to properly defend your home and your family.

I'm with @Constable85 I would rather take a beat down than fire a gun in a closed space. I have had permanent increases from far less than a gun blast.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Solution - use it as a scare tactic, don't put bullets in it.

If they try to approach you, PISTOL WHIP THEM :)

Ask me if you need advice on anything else friend

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Constable85
      Balanced

Thanks Champ.

11. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I had a scare the other night, my Gfs car was broken into and they used the garage door opener to access my house as the garage is attached. I was stupid and left the door to my home through the garage unlocked.

I dont have a gun so i was walking around the house with a golf club. The entire time I was thinking I hope this isn't going to be loud. Haha.

Anyway they took off as soon as they saw the lights come on and heard me. Scary at the time, what a rush.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Take NAC daily, and if you get exposed to an extremely loud noise, take a huge dose of it, and also see your local ENT for whatever remedy they recommend during the immediate aftermath of acoustic trauma.

I own a .38 and would have no problem whatsoever pulling the trigger if I had no other option. I'll be damned if I'll let someone get their kicks from hurting me if I have the means to defend myself.

• Like Like x 2
    13. stelar

stelar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1985
      Learn how to shoot a crossbow and throwing knives. You can be stealthy yet deadly like Rambo.
      You can also buy a kevlar bullet proof vest and throw it on before you go all commando on their asses.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. stelar

stelar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1985
      p_090718_03055.JPG 4317.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Constable85
      Balanced

Man, when my T is bad with light sabers, tug boats and ringtones, I wish I could have an arrow through my head. :( Sorry not trying to be all dramatic but I bet it would feel so good to turn all the noises off at once .

16. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      I too am in a similar situation as you, but I would rather shoot someone trying to shoot me in my house than die. Believe me when I tell my T is bad, but there is know way in a life or death situation I would choose death. We all are going to die sooner or later, what is the rush is how I look at it....

I see you did not put down how long you have had T It can, or rather it is rough in the beginning, but you get better at handling it. I still have rough day too every now and then.

• Like Like x 1
    17. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Reading all these post's I am so glad I live here in NZ, I really have no need of a gun even if it was legal here, I'm just glad it's not!
      With my ears I would be incapable of pulling the trigger anyway. lol

Thank God for unarmed self defense!;)

18. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I don't own a gun. My hands are registered as lethal weapons in 47 countries, 14 provinces and the island of Pitcairn. If I could inflict the T I hear on my enemies I would need nothing else. ;)

• Like Like x 4
      • Funny Funny x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    19. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Baseball bat + mace should be good enough

20. No gun here, just a baseball bat. A T-guy with nothing to lose is pretty dangerous with a bat(y)

• Funny Funny x 1
    21. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Nothing to lose... going to a quiet prison cell is a lot to lose in my book

22. Yea..I have T and H and if I had a gun ( I don't) and someone broke in and tried to harm me or my kids, no question I would use it..I really think you would be in survival mode and not thinking about T spikes, and ear muffs..Ears can also protect us ;) @Telis I laughed out loud picturing that- someone walking through the house with a gun AND muffs on...counter productive for sure. .lol..

Anyways do what you think is best :)

• Like Like x 1
    23. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Get yourself a silencer.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      If I had a gun, I'd worry about myself being the victim.

• Hug Hug x 2
    25. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      This. If you are thinking about putting earmuffs to shoot intruders you should not own a gun.

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. stelar

stelar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1985
      Since when did prison was quiet? Or do you think you will get a private cell with a flat screen telly and a plastic door. Also tell the warden not to disturb you with loud buzzing doors.

• Funny Funny x 1
    27. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

Having a gun is always good thing. As a last resort you can use it for swift painless suicide

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm an American, on average I own 0.66 guns.

• Funny Funny x 1
    29. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi! Clueless European here! ;)
      What are the chances that someone breaks in and you can successfully defend yourself (with a gun)?

Over here, both chances are pretty limited. And if someone does break in, I'll just hide in the bathroom or attic with my phone until the police are here. I could go after a burglar with a kitchen knife or something, but considering that I'd just woken up in the middle of the night and still feeling hazy, I'd have no chance against a well-rested burglar.

30. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yeah,....those "well rested" burglars are the most dangerous kind! ...;)

• Funny Funny x 1