Do You Take NSAIDs (Aleve, Advil, etc.) or Do You Avoid Them Completely?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zinnia, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I'm curious to see if you all take these potentially ototoxic drugs (anything with naproxen, ibuprofen, etc) and get away with it without tinnitus spikes or increases...?

I'd really like to know what your experiences are...

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I've taken Ibuprofen many times without any change in my T. I'd be more worried if I had to take high doses for long periods of time, but I'm not too worried when it's a sporadic use.

3. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      It really depends on the person. I've taken Advil (I only need one, luckily) a few times without any problems. If anything, it lessened the tinnitus. The problem is taking high doses, and according to the last doctor I saw the tinnitus you may get from taking too much ibuprofen is just temporary. The doctor also suggested using ibuprofen over naproxen.

4. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I've taken tylenol a few times with no effect.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I plan to stick to Tylenol (which I have taken without any impact on my T).

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Good idea to stick w Tylenol.

How about some other people out there?
      Have you taken NSAIDs without incident?
      Anyone have their T brought on by NSAIDs?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Anyone else care to share their experiences with NSAIDs?

8. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have avoided since I got T. Except for when I had my wisdom teeth pulled I did take some and I did noticed a spike but that just may have been my own anxiety.

• Useful Useful x 1
    9. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I avoided it for years after getting tinnitus but have since taken it a bunch of times and most of time it doesn't affect my tinnitus. It's spiked it a couple of times but only temporarily.

10. John B.
      Tired

John B. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2003
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Early on when I was having trouble sleeping I would occasionally take an Advil PM. I had no issues that I can recall - it actually worked really good as a sleep aid. When I saw that Advil could possibly aggravate tinnitus, I started taking Tylenol instead - but I rarely take aspirin / Ibuprofen / Tylenol in general.

I had a wisdom tooth pulled recently and took hydrocodone for pain after that - didn't notice anything then either.

11. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I suspect that my T is related to my recent TMJ problems, so at my semi-annual dentist visit today I asked the DDS about it. He couldn't find any obvious signs of TMJ, but recommended that I rinse with warm salt water, do isometric exercises with my lower jaw, warm compresses on my face/ears for ten minutes before bed, and NSAIDS to reduce inflammation. I have a followup visit scheduled for 2 weeks. I'm not sure if I'm going to take any NSAIDS, because they can be upsetting to my stomach, but I'm relieved to see that it's not something that has done any permanent T damage to anybody who responded to this thread.

12. UpDownAround
      Spaced

UpDownAround Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I take them for arthritis and spinal stenosis. At high doses, there is some effect but it is temporary. Lots of things cause spikes. Downside is that when asked about them it is something ENT and audiologist mention as a possible cause. I have osteo and low back pain (spinal stenosis) and never take tylenol for those because of studies like the one discussed here:

https://www.prevention.com/health/tylenol-and-achy-joints

It is almost completely ineffective for osteo pain and totally ineffective for low back pain. This was my experience even before reading the article. To be fair, the worst of my low back pain is impinged nerves from spinal stenosis (found on MRI, along with degenerated disks in lumbar area; not just assumptions about a bothersome back) and the only non narcotic (which I can't take because I have a history of abuse) way to relieve it is to bite the stick and move around some more until the pressure is relieved. That kind of pain also tends to spike T.

13. cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      99.9% percent sure Ibuprofen caused my T, took in high doses for 2 or 3 days for wrist pain. Was recommended an amount by a friend of mine who is a med student, took his advice instead of going to the doctor. I'll regret that for the rest of my life (or the rest of my ringing life)

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      Bayer aspirin sets mine off bad. Anacin doesn't. I live with pain and have learnt to deal with it