Does Anyone Have Anxiety-Induced Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Melissa101, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Melissa101

Melissa101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      Hi All,

I'm new to all this tinnitus malarkey and I'm just looking for anyone who may share some of the experiences I have had and might be able to offer some advice. I think I've always had a low ringing and buzz in both ears which has never bothered me at all. I'm a suffer of generalised anxiety disorder which comes and goes over the years and varies in intensity. As anyone with GAD knows the symptoms and many and varied.

I've had a relapse with my anxiety over the past few months which has made me obsess on tinnitus. This started because I now experience, 2-3 times per day, an extremely loud ringing in my ear which last for between 5-10 seconds before disappearing. It's usually the left ear but can switch to the right and is often associated with the onset of a panic attack (although I'm not sure which cause which). The low level ringing and buzzing in my ears has now either became louder or appears louder because I've been made more aware of it. I'm 100% certain that my anxiety has caused this. I've had no exposure to loud noise and my hearing has been tested and is perfect, so no hearing loss.

I was just wondering if there any anxiety sufferers on this forum who can offer advice as to whether these symptoms disappear when the anxiety fades. I know I'm doing the absolute wrong thing by obsessing over this but there are so many horror stories out there about tinnitus that it's hard not to be frightened by it.

2. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Yes there are many horror stories out there but thats from people who have it severely. Not everyone will have it to that extent, a low buzzing in the ear is on another level entirely to what severe sufferers experience. Its good to have perspective on tinnitus because when i first came here out of curiosity the horror stories knocked me down and it took me quite a while to realsie that tinnitus is different for everybody and that mine was not as bad as others.

Anxiety may be making you focussing on the buzzing more, try to relax and distract yourself from it. DO NOT FIXATE on it.

• Like Like x 2
    3. MrLowBot
      Alienated

MrLowBot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music (loud noise)
      Oh yes indeed.

That is why many people freak out about getting T.

But in reality, you can protect your ears from more dmg
      and you will accept the T, and when you do it won't be
      a problem for you (and it shouldn't be one ither).

Take care man.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Melissa101

Melissa101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. It's definitly becoming clear that there's a huge psychological component in how to handle tinnitus. Unfortunately, controlling my anxious mind is not one of my strengths! Hopefully I can start finding some info on the best techniques.

Cheers

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      A well written post Sam explaining the truth about tinnitus. Some people believe the way they experience tinnitus is the same for everyone else, which is definitely not the case...
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    6. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      No, I have T-induced anxiety :oops:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. MatthijsDJ
      Mellow

MatthijsDJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No root cause found, most likely stress...
      Mine is stress/anxiety induced. The best tip is to don't get the vicious circle started like I did. Don't obsess about it, espescally yours is just three times a day; mine is/was 24*7.

If you can't get your mind off, follow therapy..

8. Frayact

Frayact Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Before I contracted tinnitus in April 1996, I had a history of depression and panic attacks. This is not uncommon. Many folks who got tinnitus from out of the blue have reported the same experiences. I finally got on antidepressants in 1999 and have tried different ones. I've been on Lexapro for ten years at this point. And I occasionally take a Valium. It hasn't cured my T, but the noise has been known to disappear for periods of up to a year and then come back for no reason (I have a low-frequency hum that I can physically feel as well as hear).

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Melissa101

Melissa101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      Thanks for all the replies. I've now got a cold and blocked sinuses and anticipated the T getting worse but weirdly it has stopped completely during the day. Even if go into a silent room and put my hands over my ears..I still hear it before bed but thats when I at my most anxious. Will be interesting to see if it returns wgen my cold goes away.

Out of intetest is it worth seeing a doctor about this? I'd say at this stage the T is only a mild - moderate annoyance and most of the problems stem from me worrying about it getting worse (I'd be perfectly happy to live with the level of T I have at the moment). I hate going to the doc as I'm an anxiety sufferer and hate the scepticism I usually get from GPs.