Does Anyone Know If a Migraine Can Cause Permanent Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jkph75, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Just wondering if anyone knows the answer. Can't seem to find the answer.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi jkph75,
      You can get vestibular Migraines with tinnitus have a read up on it...lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Thanks Glynis. I think that with vestibular migraines it is usually as part of an aura, so it would come and go with the migraine. Just wondering if anyone had heard of getting continuous tinnitus from a migraine. Doesn't seem possible to me, but I don't really know so I thought I would ask.

4. Zaah

Zaah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Migraine / withdrawal
      Well, migraines can cause brain damage. I was wondering this myself and wanted to see if there are others that have T from migraines since it's how my tinnitus started.

I quit caffeine and was having severe migraines everyday for a week straight, during a really bad migraine my tinnitus started and hasn't gone away, it's been 8 months now.

It was also the quietest period of my life, I've also never been around loud sounds such as fireworks, concerts, speaker systems, etc.. No hearing loss according to my audiologist. I lived a rather quiet life then get hit with tinnitus still.

5. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I've had migraines with aura since I was 12. I've been worried about damage too. They have found some people with migraines with many lesions on MRI. They still don't even understand what exactly happens during migraine. That being said I didn't develop T until decades later and I didn't associate it with a migraine.

Also I think vestibular migraine can occur without headache. I have balance issues with unilateral nerve damage and this is a possibility. I don't know that either though would cause continuous T - maybe more like similar issues could cause both but the conditions themselves aren't related.

6. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Also I had to stop caffeine for balance testing and slowly tapered over 2 weeks. I became very dizzy and got the caffeine headache but didn't notice any change in the T.