Does Caffeine Make Your Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by coffee_girl, Oct 14, 2016.

1. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Just a question, does caffeine make your symptoms worse or does it actually create permanent damage? I wanted to know other people's experiences because my T went away after 2 weeks completely and I drank at least 1 cup of coffee every day.

However I want to know if I keep drinking coffee...if it will make it come back.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Hello Coffee.

Many here believe caffeine increases the loudness of tinnitus. I personally do not experience any difference from drinking coffee or refraining from it for awhile.

I also read somewhere, I forget now, that if you have tinnitus that 1-2 cups a day may increase tinnitus levels but drinking 3-4 cups a day may help lower it. So the real question I suppose is, how does it effect you? If it increases your tinnitus then you may need to avoid caffeine as much as possible, and that includes many soda's.

Each of us has things that help spike tinnitus I believe. What spikes mine may never spike yours or his or hers.

Not sure if this has helped at all but I wish you success with this and hope you can find ways to better deal with it. We care about everyone here and that includes you.

Regards

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Mikie_Mike

Mikie_Mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Ear Infection/Prescription Drugs?
      T is a funny thing ... it's hard to pin point the cause of all the spikes, but I believe caffeine (coffee) makes mine worse. If I have more than one cup in the morning, the T seems more intense later in the afternoon ... but I can't swear to that. It could be something else I've consumed during the day, and at this point, I'm guessing I'm most sensitive to salt. Please note I think my nervous system is messed up because of prescription drugs I took, so things that drive/relieve my spikes might be different from others.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Check my prior posts....there was a study done that proved its a myth...in most cases it seemed to have decreased the T...i had starbux today...no spike..my T was actually real quiet this mrning but now its bak at the normal mild level...wish it would stay at the low level lol i would recommend just not overdoing it...a cup a day should b okk

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Everything that affects my heart rythm affects my Tinnitus. Including caffeine. So coffee makes my T more noticeble. But it is completely temporal. No long term damage in anyway.

Today I can live with tinnitus, but i couldn't without coffee jeje, so I keep drinking it.

If you are struggling with your T, I recommend you to don't drink coffee and wait until you get to a more manageable point. No because of permanent damage to your T, but because it could help you to habituate faster.

Once you habituate, I think a cup of coffee won't make you feel bad.

Best regards, your friend,
      Johnny.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Thank guys! I definitely love coffee more than anything else, it's my coping mechanism lol.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I drink a lot of tea. Like 2 blacks and 2 greens per day. It doesn't change my symptoms as far as I can tell.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Coffee does not affect my t.

I love coffee too much lol

Well done on recovering from your T, be careful with your ears in the future :)

How long did your t last for and was it always a solid tone??

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Hi hon, I wrote about my experience here: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-story-with-a-happy-ending.18043/

It happened 2 weeks ago with a loud concert, it affected 1 ear and sounded like a heart monitor flatlining ("Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...."). It changed my life in a very short period of time, I am now grateful for not only my health but my sight and the ability to hear birds and the sound of a piano playing. It made me very emotional lol

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hopefully this will be temporary for you Coffee Girl. Try not to stress too much over it. Do your best to protect your hearing now as you have the warning signs that your ears are sensitive. I would take every precaution to protect myself now if I knew mine was just noise induced.

Stress will increase your tinnitus way faster than caffeine!! Try to relax as best you can, sleep well and just carry on living. Keep us all posted of any changes and always talk to your doctors about this.

Big hugs! Mike

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert

Thank you dear, I am trying not to over stress... I spend all of my time reading books and watching documentaries and I don't bother anyone so I rarely have stress to begin with. =]

12. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nice. Now that's relaxing!! Hugs!

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      So you mean also exercise? Which increasing pulse?

Anyway... I've never been a fan of coffee (drink a lot of tea instead), but started to drink it - let's say regularly - about two years ago. Not much, compared to other people. My tinnitus got worse, but I strongly doubt there can be any correlation.

14. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Yes, exercise does increase my Tinnitus but just temporary. I keep doing excersice becuase the feeling of wellness overcomes the temporary Tinnitus spikes.

Regards,

15. Mahr
      Doh

Mahr Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably hair cell damage
      Coffee as such makes no difference in my T. But if you feel more tensed after drinking coffee I can imagine the T could increase.