Does Folic Acid Help or Cause Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MarkSmith, Apr 26, 2015.

1. MarkSmith

MarkSmith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I've had tinnitus intermittently for a few months, generally getting better. It's been nearly gone for a week. Today I took 600 mg. of folic acid, the first time in two weeks, and a few hours later tinnitus recurred/returned.

Anyone here found that folic acid 300 mg. to 600 mg. causes tinnitus or makes it worse?

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/folic+acid/tinnitus

2. Donsorel

Donsorel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2008
      Two months ago I went to a Doctor to find the cause of the Tinnitus. He made me take folic acid and lamictal, wich I used two weeks having my tinnitus increased like never before. I don't know wich one of them was, but since then the T is terrible. I did blood test before and after and the folic acid had increased from 11ng/ml to 20ng/ml. Perhaps thats the cause...

3. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow. That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought it would affect T one way or the other. I suppose it all depends on where the T is coming from and everyone's T could be coming from different places eg, brain, inner ear etc

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It has zero impact on my tinnitus, but who knows.

5. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      I've taken folic acid during my 3 pregnancies and in my case, I didn't have any increase...

6. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      The OP was back in April and that was the last time he was logged on. I think he meant micrograms mcg instead of milligrams mg.

I've only seen folic acid supplements in "mcg". The recommended dosage on webmd for an adult is 400 mcg:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/getting-enough-folic-acid-topic-overview

7. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Donsorel ...What dosage did your doc put you on?

8. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Folic acid is no good. Try folate.

http://chriskresser.com/folate-vs-folic-acid/

9. Donsorel

Donsorel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2008
      @jimH two tablets of 5mg (10 mg). I don't know if it's a lot :dunno:

10. Kabitz

Kabitz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slight hearing loss
      http://psycheducation.org/treatment.../lamotrigine-lamictal/lamotrigine-and-folate/

11. Paulo Rodrigues

Paulo Rodrigues Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Methylfolate
      How to lower my folic acid levels?

I have tinnitus for almost 10 years, but it increased (about 3 times higher) after taking a high dose of Life Extender Methyl Folate. It got suddenlly stronger during a night. I ceased to take the folate pills immediately, but it hasn´t stopped ever since.

After several exams, my doctor said that my ears are good and I have to wait for my folic acid blood levels to lower in order to confirm that the Methyl Folate is the real cause.

But the blood levels are not getting lower. I have been testing it for almost 2 months and it is always higher than the laboratory test limit of detection (above 20 ng/ml). Two weeks ago they started testing the erythrocytes folic acid and the level was 1138,1 ng/ml, considering a normal range from 140,0 to 836,0 ng/ml.

The tinnitus is driving me crazy. Would the folate be really the one to blame for the noise? How to lower these levels?

I have been trying to take more sun baths and to reduce the intake of foods that are rich in acid folic, but it seems very hard to lower the levels.

Thank you for the help you may give,

Paulo

12. Paulo Rodrigues

Paulo Rodrigues Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Methylfolate
      Is this methylfolate (if this is really the case) induced tinnitus reversible?

13. Pauline F

Pauline F Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I came across these posts about the use of folic making T worse. That seems to be the case in my experience. I have had tinnitus for 10 years or more. Gone up considerably since taking folic acid. Hasn’t subsided since stopping. Life is hell once again. Oh for the days of quieter T that I had learnt to live with.