Does Niacin Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Striveon, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am taking Niacin flush free 400 mg?

On the list of ototoxic medications/medications it lists Niacin CPS.

Does Niacin make tinnitus worse?

My ENT prescribed me these. Should I stop them?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      So does Niacin spike people's tinnitus? If it helps, does it matter if it's flush free or not? I've heard that the flush Niacin helps more with Detox.

3. dnl
      Wishful

dnl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin/Bupropion
      Everyone is different.
      I've been taking Niacin under prescription for a few months now (500mg extended release). I haven't noticed an increase in tinnitus associated with it. I've had spikes before and after I started taking it, but overall my tinnitus is the same as it was before I started.

4. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      There was a time when I was taking Niacin before bed to help me sleep. It was a 250 mg time-released tablet. Then one day, out of nowhere, I had a huge spike. I stopped taking it after that.

5. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Here's my take: I tried Ginkgo Biloba in the very beginning of my odyssey, which was supposed to help tinnitus because it improved circulation. Well, it made my tinnitus worse.

I believe Niacin also improves circulation, which is responsible for then "Niacin flush" phenomenon.

So it would seem that improvement in circulation can actually increase tinnitus volume.

But there's one caveat that I keep in mind. I've read that sometimes things that exacerbate tinnitus in the beginning, can eventually be the thing that will improve it in the long run. I recently started with my that Ginkgo Biloba again, and have not noticed any spikes (I'm only taking one capsule however instead of four I was taking last year).

6. DreiT
      Paranoid

DreiT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo caffeine insomnia earbuds
      I took 100mg Niacin (flush version) because I heard bloodflow to the ears is good but I'm spiking hard right now and can't sleep.

For those who had the same reaction, how long did the spike last? It's whistling relentlessly now :(

7. G H
      Curious

G H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Still whistling or did it calm down?

8. DreiT
      Paranoid

DreiT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo caffeine insomnia earbuds
      It calmed the next day. Actually it calmed way down my baseline the next day. I think Niacin helped? I might take it again but maybe microdosing it won't make me spike.

• Helpful Helpful x 1