Does Testosterone Have an Effect on Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Shaun, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Shaun
      Tolerant

Shaun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Has anyone had any experience with testosterone with t?
      I lost A lot of Weight through t I train regularly but can't seem to get back to my ideal weight.
      might be my age I'm not 25 anymore so my testosterone levels my naturally be on the decline.
      so I was thinking of doing testosterone replacement to see if it would help.
      my only concern if it affects my tinnitus.
      Anyone have any experience with this and did it affect their t.thanks.

2. Hab
      Curious

Hab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I wouldn't recommend that unless you know for sure you have testosterone deficiency, and this should be done under the care of a doctor. Testosterone replacement has a lot of side effects and risks, and I seriously doubt it will effect your T either way

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I tend to lose weight easily, struggle to put it on. For me a lot of it is in the regime; I don't take any fancy supplements, just protein. 1 scoop in the morning and 1 after a workout (Whey Protein Isolate as normal whey can mildly upset my stomach). Diet is generally the biggest factor to look at and was the key years ago when I was struggling to bulk up for rugby.

I have also just got some hemp protein, it isn't very pleasant tasting but has the full range of Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA's) to help your body recover and it's totally natural.

You may already know this but, for growth, try sets of 12-10 reps and work to a plan so you have recovery time built in. Bodybuilding.com has a ton of workout plans or if you want to PM me I can share mine, if we have a similar body type it might be useful to you.

As you get older your body does change, just a case of matching your plan to suit.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shaun
      Tolerant

Shaun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Ok cheers hab,thanks Steve appreciated I've tried the supplement route guess I've just plateaud.
      it would be done properly a basic cycle with a pct post cycle treatment.
      thanks for info.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      "testosterone deficiency" is snake-oil bullshit being peddled by immoral doctors.

Testosterone decreases slowly after puberty. That's not a disorder. Your ideal weight may shift over time. That is also not a disorder.

Taking synthetic testosterone makes you feel awesome, because it's a drug. That's not evidence of a disorder.

Taking synthetic testosterone for more than a short period of time can make you sterile.

There are many ways that hormones can interact with tinnitus; I have definitely read stories of it getting worse after supplemental testosterone (or estrogen for that matter).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I wouldn't speculate. Get your testosterone levels tested to know for sure. I definitely would not start any treatment without knowing for sure and under the supervision of a doctor.

I really doubt there is a link between testosterone and tinnitus though.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shaun
      Tolerant

Shaun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Cheers for the feedback men,your opinions are appreciated.
      I don't think I'm defficent just want to get bigger and stronger Is the honest truth.
      t took a lot away from me I won't go into detail on this thread so I guess it's my way of getting it back.
      don't get me wrong I'm not an arrogant person,far from it I've been massively humbled by the t experience,sooooooo
      Humbled..
      I just want to show t that it hasn't got the better of me,if it goes tit's up my bad,but I like a challenge.

8. Lahol

Lahol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abnormally low level of testosterone
      The opening comment (judgement) made by linearb really puzzles me. As a 71-year old male, I can testify as to the fundamental importance of testosterone (T) for a man's overall well-being. Yes, it's normal for our T level to decrease with age, but this is of course a matter of degree - and the base value from which we start to decrease. It's easy to check on our bio-available T (that is free to circulate in our body), and if this value is below normal, we are exposed to a number of physical and psychological problems and health-risks. In my case, tinnitus with hearing-loss was one of the problems on which I see improvement as my level of bio-available T slowly increases, thanks to the help I get from a qualified andrologue.

• Like Like x 3
    9. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Get your testosterone checked to see if you are low and need replacement. Once you start on replacement your body stops producing as much naturally and I never thought it was a good idea. To gain weight you want muscle weight not fat. When weight training you should take in one gram of protien for each body pound. I do a protien shake after a workout and one in the evening with a good diet of lean meats vegetables and fruits. Nothing with white flour or white sugar. Monday biceps and back, tuesday triceps and chest, wed shoulders and legs, thursday back to biceps and back and so on. I do 5 different exercises 5 sets of 10 for each body part which takes one hour and 15 minutes treadmill for a little cardio. I am 69 next month with 17 inch arms and 34 inch waist. This program works for me. When working out you will raise testosterone some what naturally.

10. pra3torian

pra3torian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sometime between the age of 35 and 45
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exaserbated by Testosterone
      Testosterone most definitely exacerbated my tinnitus, but the pros certainly out way the cons when it comes to testosterone therapy.

You have a general sense of well being when on testosterone ethanate, which shatteres any anxiety that usually accompanies people with tinnitus.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      How much did it increase your tinnitus? If you quit the testosterone, did it return to baseline?

12. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Are any men on here taking testosterone? I was told I had low testosterone. I had 177 when taken in the afternoon and on a day when I was feeling bad, but when I went to an endocrinologist in the morning, it measured 539 and he said I was fine. However, I'm thinking that is kind of low for someone who is in his early 40's. I'm thinking testosterone would have an effect on my mood either good or bad but I heard it helps a lot of men feel better. I'm unsure about how it would effect the tinnitus. What concerns me is that taking testosterone makes men sterile and then it is supposed to be a life long thing. The doctor said if I ever wanted to have kids I would have to be off of it for 6 months but at that point- I don't know if that is right, but that is what I was told- and withdrawing from testosterone without my body having any, would severely mess me up.

Should I try a natural supplement to try to increase it first and see what happens? I was thinking about taking it D-Aspartic acid, but I have no idea what it will do to me. Can it be taken long term? Guys who have used it, what has been your experience with testosterone? My anxiety is really high now and I have been focusing on my tinnitus more unfortunately and am wondering if testosterone might help.

13. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Warning the following post may contain TMI, so if that kind of thing bothers you, please stop reading. I'm sorry but I don't know where else to ask this question.

An interesting thing happened to me around a week or two ago. I woke up with an erection which has been very rare for me. I read where this is normal for men and if men do not on do this often, they could have low testosterone.

Anyways, my tinnitus didn't bother me at all that day.

Is it possible that if my testosterone levels were higher, my mood would be better and that I would not be bothered by tinnitus?

Any men with experience with testosterone treatment or testosterone supplement treatment after having tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      I've been on doctor-prescribed TRT for 2.5 years. It didn't affect the tinnitus in any way. In fact it helped because it significantly decreased anxiety and depression levels and enhanced my sleep. It also helped gain a fair amount of muscle (but not that roided-up beast look, I just look proportionate and fit according to external observers).

If you're deficient, go for it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    15. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Thanks so much for you response. Does it help you tune out tinnitus easier?

16. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Possibly. I notice when I wake up from a good dream and well rested sometimes my tinnitus is very low. It could be related to the subconscious.

17. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      One other question if you all don't mind me asking... what were your testosterone levels before treatment and what are they now?

18. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Oh one other thing I just thought about. On a day I was feeling bad, my testosterone measured 177. However, that was taken in the afternoon after lunch. On some days when I was feeling "okay" I measured 539 and 477. Is that normal or bad? I'm in my early 40's.

Some thing that seems rather odd to me is that twice now I have done things to make my pulse lower and when it did lower after some days, I started getting more and more depressed. The first time I measured it, it was 177 and now I am waiting another testosterone measurement result to see if was low testosterone. Both times it felt very similar and interestingly, when I get in a depressive funk, I usually don't have pimples but when I come out of my depression funk, I can start to get one or two. To me that could be a sign of testosterone increasing. What do you all think?

The only down side to that was I found out I was Vitamin D deficient so I started taking Vitamin D but as time went on I really started breaking out in acne and I got really irritable and felt awful. I hope that wasn't due to a testosterone increase.

19. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I know there is pros and cons to testosterone replacement therapy. The biggest thing I didn't like about it was the fact that they said it would make you sterile. At any rate, I decided to get an injection a few days ago. I noticed the next day I was able to exercise better. On day two I noticed my vision, taste, and smell had improved. Possibly my hearing and touch as well. By that I mean, the colors are more vivid, my taste is better, and there were three times in the past 24 hours where I had smelled things I hadn't ever smelled before despite walking past them multiple, multiple times. For example, walking past the leaves yesterday, I actually smelled them. I had forgotten what they smelled like. My digestion was better than a very, very long time, yesterday. I was able to sleep wonderful last night. The best night's sleep in a very, very long time, and I also was able to go to sleep earlier. I was calmer last night and more calm this morning than in a very, very, long time. This tinnitus at times has seemed less, especially upon waking this morning, except it might have gone up when I got up and went back to sleep, that could be due to my dysautonomia, and the tinnitus has been easier to habituate to. I'll have to see how it goes from here.

I'm not sure whether testosterone is a symptom of my problem or a cause of my problem. So far it seems to have helped my dysautonomia but I will need to give it more time and see how it goes. Do you all know if testosterone increases blood volume? Because that is what I think I need due to my dysautonomia. I heard it can increase red blood cells, but was just wondering about volume.

20. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Does anyone know if a lot of stress will reduce testosterone levels? My tinnitus has been starting to bother me more the past couple of days and objectively, the loudness level hasn't really increased. I have been under a lot of stress this past week though.

21. Chris Grew

Chris Grew Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @JasonP, my tinnitus got worse about 4 days after starting TRT. I’m not sure if it was that, or something else. Stress and anxiety definitely increases the sound for me. Mine went from a 2/3 to probably a 6/7. I’m hoping goes down soon. I stopped the TRT and going to see if that helps.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I know there have been times where I have got the testosterone shot and a day or two later upon waking up my tinnitus is low for a few days, but sometimes that doesn't happen. I wish I knew exactly what was going on with me but at least I have some idea of what's wrong with me.

Hopefully, your tinnitus will go down soon.

23. Ciara1987

Ciara1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj?
      Stress will absolutely reduce levels. Your body will metabolize it quicker than you can produce it. I know this for a fact.

24. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Thanks so much. That really explains some things for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Can I ask what dosage of testosterone you are on?

By the way, to anyone else on here that may read this that is on Testosterone Replacement Therapy that is helped with depression and anxiety, would you be okay with telling how much dose you had to take to get relief from depression and anxiety?

Currently, I am on .5cc a week, but am wondering if I should go higher. The problem is I know it's not the cure all as I have other health conditions that can cause depression.

26. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      I'm wondering as well. My Testosterone levels are in the 180s. I was on TRT before tinnitus but stopped because I wanted to have kids. Scared to go back on because I'm unsure on how it will affect tinnitus.

27. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      Bumping this thread for any onlookers with experiences to share. I’m about to embark on Testosterone Replacement Therapy and I will share any changes to my tinnitus experience.

• Like Like x 2
    28. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just took my fourth dose, two weeks in.

For background I'm mid-30s male, I'm a fairly fit guy having strength trained for 15+ years (bests: squat 495lbs / 224kg, bench 335lbs / 152kg, deadlift 550lbs / 250kg). I do 150+ minutes of zone 2 cardio per week. My lipids are great. I have beautiful, perfect blood pressure (but boy did I have hypertension during tinnitus onset).

However, my testosterone, free testosterone, LH, and FH levels were tested clinically low. I have taken this test twice and the result was similar. My performance has really fallen off over the last two years. Life stressors. And then T.

I was prescribed 160 mg Testosterone Cypionate per week, dosed 80 mg twice per week. This way you can use totally un-intimidating insulin needles for subcutaneous injections, as well as smooth out the dosing from a weekly spike.

So far I think I have more "go" but the effects are supposed to take some 3-4 weeks to really kick in. My tinnitus is generally stable, no noted differences.

My primary goal with testosterone is for use as a form of antidepressant, for well-being, zest for life, to help override tinnitus.

• Like Like x 3
    29. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      4 weeks in. For the last week my previously unmaskable tinnitus has been the quietest it's been yet. It could be pure correlation, it could be Trazodone giving me better quality sleep (despite raising my resting heart rate). But I feel pretty damn good, physically and mentally.

Last week I backed my dose down to 70 mg twice a week, 140 mg per week, as I was feeling like 160 mg might have been overstimulating my nervous system. A normal replacement dose is 100-120 mg.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      How are you now?