Door Slam Decibel

Discussion in 'Support' started by antoniaagapi, Jul 7, 2015.

1. antoniaagapi

antoniaagapi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/5/14
      Hi. I am deaf in left ear and suffered sshl in right ear last year with tinnitus. Was on steroids for 20 days and hearing returned I still have tinnitus though. Today the wind blew shut in my home I was about 3 meters away but it was so loud. Do you think it damaged my hearing?

2. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Without a hearing test we don't know.. you can download hearing test app on your smartphone or pc and take one in a quite room with good speakers.

3. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      A door slam can be noisy but it doesn't last long enough to cause damage to the ears.
      If that was the case the entire population on this planet would be having severe hearing loss.
      You can't stress over any loud noise around you, that is a one way ticket to more problems. Relax.

• Agree Agree x 4
    4. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Gunshots noise doesn't last long and can cause permanent damage after firing a single round. Both sound pressure and duration of exposure always have to be taken into account together when it comes to hearing damage.

That being said, a door slamming shut is not even remotely close to gun noise levels so you should be fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No I don't think a door slam can be loud or long enough to cause any permanent damage ....

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      No

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No. Not loud enough to cause damage. The duration wasn't long enough to cause damage. You were 3 meters away.
      You will be fine :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Would you say the same about a window with a metal frame of a size of a door ( or almost ) ? I have them at the university. People leave them open and it happened to me today for the second time ( first one was months ago ) that the wind blow shut it when I was maybe 1m20 away from it. ( God thanks, not RIGHT next to it ) but both times I was priviliged to be the one who was the closest and I was on my way running from it , yet it caught me ! I just can't believe it, it's as if some fatum was lurking at me. I really feel that. Wood, metal, does it make a difference? I know on the net the circulating info says a slamming door is 90 db, but that's what it is if you slam a car door and that's not even nearly as loud as a huge slamming window or doors, so it seems to me. That was in the beginning of the class, I couldn't focus at all on what the teacher was saying, thinking constantly HOW LOUD WAS that blasted slam ? Would anybody have a proper info ?

9. Steve721

Steve721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      If a noise lasts less than one second (which I assume would be the case with a window being blown shut), the noise would have to exceed 130 db (which is the noise exposure you'd get from standing next to a jackhammer or pneumatic drill in operation) in order to damage your hearing. I can't imagine that a window being blown shut would be anything close to that loud.

10. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      You will be fine, I can imagine it is loud but the sound is just a split second, certainly not long or loud enough to cause permament damage.

It is very unlikely imho that it exceeded 100 Db., just try to stay positive, it happened before and you where fine afterwards, no reason to think that today will be any different.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      The gun shot last only a second, but still..time itself is not the only factor. I guess I'm more freaked out by those sudden loud noises than long ones..Actually, I'm quite positive but I worry and think about that constantly..Last spike came out of nowhere, so probably with a retard after some exposure so now I'm even more paranoid cause 'what if my ears are weak enough to get more damaged from this/that? ' Can't help it. I only feel good when this kind of things just don't happen to me. I'm already constantly careful and even this is not enough. Actually, I entered the class, I saw this f...g (sorry..) window open - red alert already ( which is a symptom of a paranoia probably - who normal thinks this way, right ? ) . Fast question to myself - ok, how far can I sit so that I'm safe if it slams ( already assuming it may slam, even if it doesn't happen that often ) , I spotted the place and before I got there BAH ! it slammed . Of course! On the one hand I'm pissed about this 'fatum' , I wasn't even supposed to be there yet, I came too early . On the other, sure - could be worse. At least fatum waited till I moved 1 meter or so. So now I ' ll probably become even more paranoid . This crappy , old windows don't even have the anti-slamming thingy to block them. Can't wait for winter so that people stop opening them.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You will be OK. The duration wasn't loud or long enough to cause any permanent damage.

13. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I'm sure you will be fine and your tinnitus back to base line .
      Hope your enjoying a relaxing evening .....lots of love glynis