Doubting About Going to a Music Festival

Discussion in 'Support' started by Suzerman, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      Hello everyone, I bet this question gets asked a million times, but I'm having a lot of trouble deciding what to do. A music festival is coming up in about 4 months from now that I would really like to attend. A lot of my favorite bands are coming and tbh I've never been to a music festival and its kind of a bucket list item of mine. However, with all this ear stuff going on I'm just not sure whether it's the best idea, seeing how it lasts 4 days.

Important to note however:

- This festival has a 100 dB limit, which is enforced by law.
      - I'll be wearing custom made ear plugs hopefully filtering up to 30 dB.
      - I would obviously not be standing at the front.
      - My tinnitus is most likely from bad posture/muscle tension/TMJ, not noise damage, because I had above average hearing on my hearing test, and relaxing my muscles seems to influence the volume by a lot.
      - I have mild hyperacusis that I have probably given myself due to a big fear of loud noises and overprotecting

For me it's just a struggle to find the line between being sensible, and stop living my life. Are there any experiences on this topic? Any advice on what is probably best? Other precautions I could take? etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I wouldn't worry too much about it if you:
      1. protect your hearing from loud noises (you seem equipped)
      2. are objective and disciplined about it
      3. won't hesitate for a second and leave if noise seems uncomfortable, even if that means missing most of the show
      Absolutely. Don't stop living your life: that would take you down the darkness path pretty fast. I know a little something about that.

It may be a good idea to carry earmuffs with you "just in case" to put on top of your ear plugs if you need to use a nuclear option for whatever reason. Peace of mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      With everything you mentioned and assuming it's an outdoor festival, I wouldn't hesitate to go. I've been to many outdoor venues and learned to take precautions to assure the safety of my hearing and to have a good time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      Thank you guys for your advice! Yes I would definitely be super careful and even pack some ear muffs for needed extra protection. The 100db limit is very reassuring though, ear plugs should protect more than enough

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Helheim
      Angry

Helheim Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Tbh if you're actually considering going, your tinnitus must be either mild or moderate and I would not risk the hearing damage. I really hope you won't regret this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Suzerman you are young and need to enjoy life to it's fullest!! I have gone to several outdoor concerts and used earplugs and took my bose headset just in case. We sat in the middle section and I enjoyed every moment of each Toby Keith concert!

Now one little issue is the unexpected loud screamer who may be aside or behind you....yikes that one is hard to deal with or know about beforehand.

I had to leave one concert that was inside the Staples Center in Los Angeles. It was horribly loud and uncomfortable. I cannot believe more people are not seriously ear damaged from these events.