Drugs to Help Calm and Ease the Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, May 26, 2017.

1. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Do anyone know if there are any drugs you could take that would help calm you and therefore reduce the tinnitus?

I am a new sufferer with a mild tinnitus and I am on a sedative right now which has the effect that it calms me and makes the tinnitus step more into the background, and allows me to worry less about it. Unfortunately at some point I will have to get off this sedative at it is addictive in the long run.

So does anyone know of an alternative drug which would have the same effect?

2. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I've been there, used Xanax and Klonopin but as you know these benzodiazepines are not meant for long term. I recently switched to Lexapro and it's helpful with anxiety and the depression it can cause. I'm in the US so not sure what they call it in your area. If it's possible I would also look for some sound maskers, that can also be a big help. Hang in, you will learn how to cope.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Sandra don't worry about coming off medication until you are stronger emotionally and have been for about 6 months then a very slow taper can be done and even introduce something more long term but again ,get your self right and strong and your smile back (and it will come back and laugh again ) with everything in place from my other post to you.
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      If it is mild, I would suggest putting some fountains around your house to "mask" the tinnitus. Since it bothers you right now sometimes when you hear it, the water sounds can mask it and calm you. At night though you could take a little bit of melatonin and see how it makes you feel. Kava Kava can help people's mood too.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have been drinking valerian tea made from valerian root (2 spoons per 2/3rds of boiling water, keep it in a thermos for a couple of hours before drinking), 4 times a day.

If your tinnitus is mild now, there is a good chance that it will improve and get quieter and less piercing in a month or two... (I am basing this on what I've read in this forum.)

6. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Check out sections 3.2-3.7 of
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2832848/
      That 2010 paper provides a good overview.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      A 2011 update
      http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1517/14728214.2011.644273
      "Since our last review [3] , there have been important advances in tinnitus research. Many difficulties that have hampered the search for effective pharmacologic compounds in the past have been successfully addressed. This is evidenced by a more detailed understanding of the pathophysiology of the different forms of tinnitus, better elaborated and validated animal models and improvements in clinical trial methodology. Promising new agents are under investigation. It is expected that further compounds will follow, enhancing the possibility that the first FDA- or EMA-approved drug effective in the treatment of tinnitus and its debilitating symptoms will enter the market soon."

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma