Ear Fullness in the Initial Onset of Tinnitus — Experiences?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Yuuls, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not sure if it is hyperacusis or not, as my ears were pretty sensitive before I developed my tinnitus, but it has gotten a bit worse. I can’t say I feel a sharp pain with noises, but a bit of discomfort. It could also be just my anxiety as I’ve gone through quite a bit of stress these last few weeks and have been borderline suicidal.

I noticed the sensitivity about 2 and a half weeks in when I was sitting in the kitchen with my dad in the morning and his voice sounded OVERLY loud. Dishes/cars passing by and stuff like that don’t seem to bother me as much though.

Does anyone have any experience with this in the initial onset of their tinnitus?
      My left ear feels like there is some pressure, even when there aren’t any loud noises around.

I’ve already seen an ENT and they didn’t find anything wrong a few weeks ago but told me to come back in a month or so if it gets worse. I haven’t been to any loud events or worn headphones at all since my tinnitus got bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I have had ear fullness. It will probably go away for you eventually - I am going by what I read on here. I hope it does.

It's especially common after getting tinnitus.

I have chronic problems with my ears so you will probably want more feedback. But, try to avoid really loud noises and you just learn what bothers you and what doesn't.

I still have occasions when some people are talking loudly and I have uncomfortable sensations in the ear.

3. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Is it normal for it to get so full that your hearing feels affected? I made the mistake of overprotecting my ears for 3 months or so following my tinnitus onset. Mix that with anxiety and my ears plugged up. About a week ago they finally opened up however I’ve been trying to expose myself to normal noises (driving on the highway, going to the store, etc). But my ears get so full they begin to hurt and ache and my hearing gets worse... today I woke up with very sore and weak ears and I hear rather dull. What should I do?

4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Fullness is normal if you suffer from tinnitus or hyperacusis. It is just one of the standard set of symptoms... fullness will come and go if this condition gets chronic, depending on your noise exposure, tension, anxiety, stress and also on cramps on muscles on neck, shoulders, back...

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. newTthis

newTthis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown:(
      Honestly, my symptoms just started 4 days ago, and I need some good advice to get rid of this. My doctor gave me steroids and I'm really hoping this helps. I finally experienced a few minutes of relief today and I'm starting to gain hope, but I have been stressed and almost suicidal as well... I need advice to calm down, my doctor rushed me out today as I looked okay, but I was crying I don't know why he was in such a hurry. I really didn't get any information about this and I only know about tinnitus from searching online.

However, this entire time I have been feeling like my ears are full! Maybe due to congestion, but I hope these steroids help will update...

Good luck to the rest of the people searching online, I feel you and this is a lot to handle, even the first four days.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello. If you’re finding relief only 4 days in, you’re doing way better than I’d say most people on this website. My advise, get away from this forum for at least a few months. Don’t go down a rabbit hole of scary stories.

Protect your hearing!! Not sure how old you are but I’d say avoid loud bars and restaurants or at least wear ear plugs. Say goodbye to concerts and clubs for at least a half year to a year even if you feel better in the next coming months/weeks (even with plugs). Be careful with music in the car. I never paid attention to how loud my music was because it never sounded “loud” over traffic, but 6-7 hour roadtrips with 75-80 dB of music can add up.

I’d give up headphones for a while as well. Let your ears recover.

This is my best advice. I made the mistake of reading horror stories on here and feeding my anxiety. I’m still doing it :( but I’m trying to stop. This is a great place to get advice, but once you have all the info you need, there is no need to spend hours reading horror stories because while these stories ARE important, these are not your experiences and when you’re in an anxious state it can make t even harder to deal with when you’re carrying not only your own stress/ but the stress of others as well.

Let me know if you ever need someone to chat with. Happy to help, sometimes it makes it easier just chatting with someone else who understands your struggle.

• Like Like x 2