Ear Inverting/Cringing at Metallic Sounds

Discussion in 'Support' started by Suzerman, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      Does anyone else feel like their ears invert when exposed to a loud / high pitched sound. It's like I can feel my ears cringing inwards when hearing sounds such as clinging keys or silverware, my ear also tends to pop shortly after. Anyone else with these symptoms?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Metallic sounds are a common offensive sound for people with H or sound sensitivity as they are generally higher pitched noises. I used to have an issue with coins at one point when they dropped!

3. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Do you have Hyperacusis? Those are symptoms of H. It could be that, while you are constantly thinking that some kinds of sounds can make you more damage, when you hear them your ears react according.

When my ears are irritated (because stress, my childrens screaming for a while, etc) I get temporary H, that can last from hourse, to days.

My ears are very sensitive those moments, and while this happens, loud and weird sounds make my thympans to vibrate and pop.

Take care,

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Couldn't use cotton bedsheets for two years because of the searing, cutting sound that accompanied my moving in the bed.

5. GWW

GWW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have these symptoms, can anyone give me a time frame of when they subsided?

6. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Plastic bags rustling can set me off too.

I have somatic tinnitus, so every time I move it seems to affect the crackling/whining sounds in my head. But I also have noise-induced tinnitus too, TTTS, high, low and middle frequencies. I think I've got the full set of symptoms!

7. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      Funny (well not really) but have experienced same issue with pillows now. Hard to imagine this not being an issue for most of my life!

In regard to the physical response--it's a nerve pain issue that we are experiencing, and so whatever muscles are associated with that region are probably following suite, hence feeling of ears "reacting".

8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      yeah, it is like a drum.. or an ear drum, turned upside down