Ear Piercing Whistle — Need Advice

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jiri, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Hi everyone,

How are things?

Just wanted to ask does it happen to any of you that from time to time a new sound, a really really high-pitched sound suddenly appears in one of your ears??? Like an ear-piercing whistle, boiling kettle type of a sound :(

Is that a spike? Or is it worsening of my tinnitus?

Jiri

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Does it last only a short while?

Probably fleeting tinnitus:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...fleeting-transient-spontaneous-tinnitus.1834/

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's called "fleeting" tinnitus, many people people experience it from time to time, some more than others. As far as I know it's not anything to be worried about and isn't indicative of further damage. I get it occasionally, sounds like the T you get right after a gunshot or explosion, it's always in one ear, and has sometimes lasted for an hour or so (slowly dying off), although it's usually only for a few seconds.

• Like Like x 1
    4. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      add some screeching brakes then this is the sound i hear all the time

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      It did last only about 5 - 10 seconds and I couldn't hear anything else but that sound. I'm kinda worried since I started hearing a new sound in my bad ear that sounds kinda like this and it clashes with my 'ordinary' t sound in that ear.

I remember reading a post here not long ago of a guy who has habituated to his T after a year and then he was watching smth on TV and bam out of blue this noise and it never left.

On a Saturday night people were celebrating smth and were setting off loud fireworks - I'd say they were 150 dB at 64 m distance . I was indoors but heard the first one (it was loud) then I took my muffs right on and left the scene pronto.

Could there be a connection? Like a new acoustic trauma. The 'fleeting T' was nearly 48 hrs later but damn, those fireworks were loud and everywhere.

I seemed to be getting this ear-piercing sound more often this past month..... I feel kinda screwed up tb completely h.

6. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      If it was 150dB at 64m, everyone within close range to the noise likely suffered ear drum rupture and hearing loss.

Fleeting T is not unusual. I actually got it more often while taking oral steroids and undergoing steroid injections. It is sometimes thought that fleeting T is the ear and brain attempting to reset a connection error. Another member posted an article on this months ago, but sorry that I cannot find it.

7. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I get this on the R ear sometimes.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Nobody knows what fleeting T is. Since people with T get it more often than the healthy people, I agree with the theory that it is our body's attempt to re-calibrate, and to make T quieter. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I get this from time to time. For me it's a temporary hearing lose that lasts a few seconds. I think it's more common than people realize but we tend to notice it more because of our tinnitus. Not to be too concerned unless you notice it increasing in frequently & duration in which case I would discuss it with your ENT.