Ear Plugs or Ear Muffs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bobbie7, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      I would like to know what most use when vacuuming or using some other noisy power tool. My vacuum cleaner is very, very loud and I will have to spend a lot of time vacuuming all the rooms in my apartment.

I have tried ear plugs but my ears are so sensitive it hurts them. I recently ordered Professional Ear Muffs from Amazon and as soon as I put them on, I found that they are extremely tight on my ears and they also hurt. I cannot see how one size can fit all people.

I would appreciate knowing what other members here use for vacuuming and other related high-volume tools? I don't know what to do at this point since it seems all these cause me pain when I attempt to use them.

Best wishes.

2. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

Double up on protection. Yes the muffs hurt at first but should loosen up. Could you have someone else vacuum?

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      Yes, I could ask my husband to vacuum but I am so accustomed to doing things myself and am the type that hates to ask for help. I wish those muffs were somewhat larger and although they might loosen up in time, they do hurt quite a lot so I suppose I'll have to ask him to do that from here on in.

By the way, would you know of any other types of muffs which have an adjustable headband? I have searched on Amazon and don't really see any like that.

Thanks for your response and have a good day/evening.

4. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

My ear muffs felt tight and were somewhat painful at first. But now they have loosened up and are a lot more comfortable. I might be imagining it but I find the ear muffs block noise better than ear plugs.

5. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
    6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      the Peltor series is quite comfortable and you get used to it
      Howard Leigh are good too

the cheap CHinese no brand from ebay aren't as good, the exception is the Titus foldable one which is quiet okay and low profile - adivertised at 32 but more like 29 in reality.

Peltor from 27 to 31 db, I found the 30 is good, light and comfortable

I have also a few of the x5a 31 db in the link above but those are a bit heavier and very large, but for noise reduction the best type

the moldex at 29 is less tight on the ears than a Peltor but heavier and moves if you move your head a lot..

A noisy vacuum can be 85db so a 29 ear muff works well

• Useful Useful x 1
    7. Yo-Han

Yo-Han Member

Tinnitus Since:
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      why spend hundreds for a vacuum cleaner and then still have to use muffs ?
      just get the Peltor x5a, 25 USD, and any noisy one will be fine.
      the suction noise can be quite high too more than the cleaner noise itself
      I measured 85db at the suction tip of my Dyson Ball and 75db for the cleaner unit itself, with a large proper db meter - not an iphone app that the site above was using

9. Yo-Han

Yo-Han Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello Bobby B

I'm just trying to help and bosch has a real silent one somewhere at 59 db's. Factory measured. I guess brands use A class (+- 1,5 Db) Db meters and not iphones. I sure hope so :) That article is just a guideline. The db levels on the manufacterors site should be more accurate. But i agree they like to mislead people at times.

Off course i'd get the peltors first and see from there. That'll probably do, indeed.

People with severe H might want a less noisy cleaner combined with the muffs.

10. Tjay

Tjay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Occupational noise pollution/head injuries
      Go to CVS OR Walgreens they have smaller sized ear plugs. Then double up with ear muffs. That's what I do.