Ear Popping... Damaging?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      So I have gotten mixed opinions from my doctors regarding whether ear popping (by opening the jaw, not through valsava) is safe even if it is done frequently. Some say it is and some say it is not.

I have continued to pop my ears all the time for feeling that my eustachian tube is not working. What kind of damage can this do to the ear given that it is not safe? That is what I am having a hard time understanding.
      I know something is not right because popping my ears often leads to rocking boat vertigo, dissociation, and hearing loss in one or both ears, and pain in and ear , or that it screws up my swallowing in a way that leads to all the above problems.

What exactly is going on?

2. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I never heard of popping your ears by opening your jaw. Only valsalva or using a EarPopper. Maybe look at @engineerLA's thread.

3. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      This has been happening to me too. So far my T has only gotten worse and developed a hissing / air leak sound.. But not popping the ears would leave the ears with uneven pressure? Idk

4. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Idk girl but I would say that you should probably stop if it is leading to feeling that awful. You certainly have an odd collection of symptoms. I feel your pain. Hope someone can figure this out for you soon.

• Hug Hug x 1