Ear Wax Removal with Debrox and Water Syringe?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Shina, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Shina

Shina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax Blockage
      Hey everyone. Sorry, I write walls of text. So in my case, I'm lucky enough that tinnitus only comes around when I'm practically deaf. My right ear has been having trouble with wax buildup for a couple years now, making things muffled. But only in the past month has it finally come to the point of completely blocking my hearing. When that happens, I get a constant ringing in my ear. Honestly, I can deal with the ringing a lot better than I can deal with the hearing loss -- especially since it's only in one ear, making sound levels uneven, which infuriates me.

When I had a blockage that so severely affected my hearing last month, I got Debrox, a carbamide peroxide ear wax removal kit. I've used it three times now in the past month. The second time I used it was just a couple days ago, because wax was starting to block off a bit of my hearing. Then I woke up today basically deaf from ear wax, so I used it again despite not wanting to use it often. I have a feeling that I may need to go to an ENT, but before spending money, maybe someone can help me out here. I can't find a more appropriate forum :/

I honestly need some help on how I'm supposed to use it. It has basic instructions, but I've tried looking around the Internet and I don't ever find instructions that are really detailed. Three questions.

It always says to pull your ear gently to straighten the ear canal. Sure, but what part of the ear? I've seen pictures of people pulling the lower lobe, pulling the side of the ear, and pulling the top part of the ear. Which is it?

When do I know to stop and drain? I get a bit scared when the bubbling gets louder because I know it's going deeper in my ear. But I've also had cases where the bubbling lessens, and I'm not sure if that means it's done, or I just didn't put enough in my ear. I usually only do 3-5 drops rather than the recommended 5-10 drops. It also says to keep it in for 5 minutes, do I just stick around for that and disregard anything else? I'm also afraid that keeping my head tilted to keep it in for so long will make the wax slide in deeper.

What do I do if the final part -- draining the wax & peroxide with the water syringe -- doesn't actually drain? It's like when you go for a swim. Your ear just keeps the water in whether you tilt your head or stretch your ear around or smack yourself, leaving me just as deaf as before I used it. Not gonna lie, I have yet to be able to resist the urge to stick the tip of the syringe in a few extra centimeters (not dangerously so), which seems to, like, poke a hole in a bubble that is preventing me from hearing. And then I usually have perfect hearing after that. But maybe that's a bad idea, I don't know. Am I supposed to wait an hour for it to suddenly pop itself out and drain like it does after a swim?

Edit: I suppose I should mention that the instructions say to use it twice a day for a max of 4 days. Which I haven't ever tried... Maybe I'm not doing enough, letting the wax harden back up.

Thanks for any help.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Solose
      Worried

Solose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have the same problem. I've tried the Debrox but it's never worked for me. A lot of times when you try it yourself you further impact it making the problem worse. I would go to the ENT. I just went to an Urgent Care recently and they were able to do it with a forceful sprayer and hydrogen peroxide. I felt like that was more gentle than the vacuum the ENT uses even though it took longer. You will be so relieved when they show you the nasty goop that was making you miserable!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shina

Shina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax Blockage
      Yeah, I want to really avoid any kind of "forceful" anything, regardless of how badly I may want the stuff out. Debrox has worked to an extant, which is why I was firstly asking how best to use it. I've had a buildup in my right ear for a couple years now that sometimes gets annoying. I last got a checkup (otoscope included of course) about half a year ago, while my ear was feeling clogged, and the doctor said there was nothing wrong. So I'm not so worried to go to a doctor unless the earwax starts plugging up 100% to the point where I start relying on even just monthly Debrox to be able to hear. So yeah, if someone has advice with using Debrox + Water Syringe better than how I've described originally, that would be nice.