Ears Feel Clogged and Sensitive to Noises When Eating Cheese

Discussion in 'Support' started by Adriel93, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      Lately I’ve noticed that my ears feel clogged, and sensitive to noises when I eat a large amount of cheese..

Does anyone get this??

2. nicole76
      Depressed

nicole76 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/17 / Worsened 04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One-Sided Hearing Loss (of unknown origin)
      I've been getting the ear clogged feeling and sensitivity, but not when I eat cheese since sadly my doctor has forbidden for me to eat (along with gluten). I'm dealing with reactivated EBV so I'm on a anti-inflammatory diet right now and taking supplements and in many ways I feel better than I did when this all started back in April except for my ears which have been giving me more and more issues lately. It's been suggested by three ENTs that it's my anxiety/stress. I worry they may be right. The biggest conundrum is how do you relax, without taking medication, when your ears are acting all crazy? I've yet to figure that out....

But if your issue seems to be directly related to the cheese I would suggest eliminating dairy from your diet for at least a month and see how your ears feel.

3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      phlem

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What's a large amount of cheese? What cheese? What amount?

5. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      "What's a large amount of cheese?"
      0q322424.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    6. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Patient: "Doctor my ears hurt when I eat cheese."

Doctor: "Stop eating cheese."

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      Isn't calcium supposed to exacerbate T and H? I do anecdotally notice my T spiking a little after I eat a lot of cheese or ice cream, but... some things are worth suffering (temporarily) for :)

In any case it seems like cutting cheese out would be an easy way to reduce your ear issues.

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    9. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I also noticed that my tinnitus gets more high pitched following eating cheese and/or yogurt.

• Like Like x 1
    11. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      Interesting, it's noted that two main foods which cause excessive mucus build-up are dairy and wheat. Casein - protein molecules in dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese etc.) and gluten in wheat require strong stomach acids for digestion. Milk, butter, cheese, cottage cheese, cream and yogurt (yummy stuff) are the most mucus-creating foods in the human diet.

Are there's any foods to eat that helps counteract the effect of mucus production before or after eating cheese/dairy? (like taking Beano with gassy foods).

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    12. Kii

Kii Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure - milk sensitivity + unknown
      I’ve had tinnitus for a couple years, went on an elimination diet for a while, then started reintroducing food. When I munch on sharp cheeses - Parmesan for example - will *within seconds* start the ringing. Not so bad then it is cooked and combined with other foods, I still risk it sometimes ;)

Also, on the rare occasions I eat milk products before bed (cream, ice cream, cheesecake, sigh) at least 50% of the time I wake up feeling the onset of an ear infection, which usually goes away by lunch, and sucks... but is a good reminder to get back on track.

I also had chronically stuffed up nose until I had cut out dairy for a while. It’s really dry where I live, but the milk made it worse to the point of rock solid. Turn out my mom said I was tested as a child and was sensitive/allergic/or intolerant and cut it out of my diet til I was about 5. Tinnitus and other problems didn’t start until I was in my 30s (though I did get ear infections as. A child / teen)

If you have any of these other symptoms, I’d suggest cutting out the triggers like cheese for a while (a month maybe?) and reintroduce one thing at a time and track it slowly.

Tinnitus annoyance was an 8/10 for a while, I get it now sometimes, mostly when I cheat, but it’s is a totally manageable 1 or 2/10. (I’ve changed other things too).

Good luck!