Emergency Treatment to Reduce Aggravation of Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by hermes, Jan 5, 2017.

1. hermes

hermes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1967/2001/2007/ 2011 / 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      brain concussion/otitis media/head trauma/audio trauma X 2
      New accident

The T that became aggravated by an alarm five years ago (changing T from up and down in volume, thereafter remaining at the same volume, higher seemingly permanently) has just today been aggravated again. And by the same flood alarm in a building managed by the same company! I am fed up and am looking into suing because the volume has gone up even *higher*! You can't get your clothes on while your fingers are in your ears! I was kicking my shoes down the hall because I couldn't bear to take my fingers in order to tie the laces. What do I have to do, live with earplugs and construction headset by my bed on the off-chance (twice in five years, who'd ever guess it?) that some mechanical error or personal irresponsibility sends my sense of sound through the roof?

How much can this go on? Every time I have an accident, some crazy person attacks me or there is no manual 'off' on an alarm system--is this going to keep climbing until I can't take it anymore?

However, this post is about medicine not civil law.

I went to emergency ward, just as much to have it on record as well as seeing if there could be any relief, or better something to prevent further damage. I had the incorrect (?) information that there are some first aid treatments, but that they have to be attended to within the first hour or so. Probably false (this is true for brain traumas though, yes?)

The MD told me all the usual things and added that the volume would probably go down after a couple of days, as it does after rock concert ringing. Well, I have my doubts. It didn't last time. I have had a brain injury after a faulty set-up of a gas pole (1967), had otitis media in 2001 [the only normal medical cause], was assaulted once (2007), and then had two audio traumas based opn the same old-fashioned alarm (2011 and today in 2017). Nobody ever comes to me and says, 'We are sorry, here is $50,000 for your trouble'. Clearly, I have to ask for it, even demand it. I don't want the money, I would much rather have the ringing go away.

BTW, my usual simple treatment (not entirely effective, but useful) is exactly the same as the doctor suggested today--don't pay T a lot of attention [which is frankly why I usually avoid this forum or reading any books on T--when there is a cure, it'll be front page news, don't we know], don't stay in quiet places, and if you have to play some relaxing music. But if this keeps going up in jumps every 5-10 years by the time I am 75 it'll be Hemmingway shotgun time. No, I am not suicidal, just very very annoyed that among the five events, in four of them other people screwed up and never made a tangible apology. I don't mind suffering, as long as I suffer in SILENCE.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Apparently the steroid predestroine (spelling) can help, depends where you are located though as in the uk they do not provide it for acoustic trauma.
      My hearing damage was also caused by an alarm.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hermes

hermes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jason, what did the medical people do in your case, if anything? I am in Canada.

4. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Not a thing. My Dr set up an appointment with ent... still waiting, I went and had a hearing test myself at a hearing aid centre, at the time I was told my hearing was normal but did show a dip at 4K but still within the 20db limit.
      Using the online tests I could actually recreate this 4K dip and the graph looked the same up to 8k, this was 3 months after the acoustic trauma.
      2 months after this I tested my hearing again myself using the same equipment and noticed the 4K dip had gone. My hearing had improved slightly at this point but still not what it was and has stayed this way since.
      Still awaiting ent but I know they won't be able too do anything although I am hoping they can do something with my balance that was also affected by the acoustic trauma.
      Tinnitus is mild/moderate for me I think, I can hear it over most things, it's mostly reactive too other sounds along with depression and self hate it's not easy.
      How is tinnitus for you?? Did yours improve at all after the alarm at all?? Hearing loss etc??

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hermes

hermes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Crazy keyboard just erased 20 minutes work. I won'r t re-do.

Best wishes

6. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Thanks lol

7. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Hermes

I totally understand how you feel, I hate alarms as well. I removed all of the smoke detectors in my home years ago in fear of the alarm's going off. I figure if I die from smoke inhilation that would be better then me getting a gun and doing it myself after a horrible increase in my tinnitus. I do live on the ground level and sleep next to a big window, so I do have a way out in the event of a fire. My tinnitus never let's me fully fall asleep anyway, so I doubt that I would not get up if I needed to.

I hope that your tinnitus goes back down to your base line soon for you.

Louie

Quietatnight