Exploring Tinnitus Management: Insights from Those Who Overcame the Ringing

Discussion in 'Support' started by David Kelly, Apr 10, 2023.

1. David Kelly

David Kelly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Glue Ear (potentially)
      I've been pondering a question that I think deserves our attention. Are there individuals who are better at managing tinnitus than others?

I have encountered people in my own life from my home city who are living with tinnitus and seem to be managing well, even though they do have difficult days. However, when I explore the online forums, I find many individuals who are struggling with tinnitus and expressing a great deal of distress.

So, the question arises: what factors contribute to the ability to manage tinnitus? Is it a matter of attitude, or are there other underlying factors at play?

If you are someone who is effectively managing tinnitus, I would be interested to hear your insights. How do you maintain a positive outlook and continue to function despite the persistent ringing in your ears?

I am only at the start of my journey and I've spent a few weeks at home miserable. Yesterday was the first day I was out all day, working and with the kids and it was the first night I slept without headphones on - and for 8 hours. I'm wondering is that luck or is that potential.

And for those who are struggling with tinnitus, it is important to remember that you are not alone. There are resources available to help, including medical professionals and support groups. Let us come together to explore this topic and learn from one another.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You have raised some interesting questions @David Kelly.

Tinnitus is a common condition that many people are able to live with and carry on doing everything that they want to in life without it being too much of a problem, like the people you have mentioned in your post.

However, like other medical conditions, tinnitus comes in different levels of severity. A person that has severe tinnitus can find it very debilitating and it can disrupt their life considerably. Normal everyday tasks that most people are able to do with ease can seem incredibly difficult for a person that has severe or intrusive tinnitus. It is not a simple matter as some people think, to just ignore the tinnitus; this is because the tinnitus noise is coming from the brain and therefore, it is an integral part of a person's mental and emotional well-being and cannot be separated from it. This is one of the reasons it's important for a person that has tinnitus to try and keep stress under control. Stress can make tinnitus worse, tinnitus can make stress worse, so it can easily become a vicious cycle and a person could find themselves slipping into depression if stress isn't managed.

Hyperacusis is having an oversensitivity to sound. This condition often (but not always) accompanies people that have tinnitus which was noise induced. Hyperacusis comes in different levels of severity and in some cases, it can be difficult to treat. A person that has tinnitus with hyperacusis may find their quality of life seriously disrupted simply because of the way they are affected mentally and emotionally. The treatments currently available for tinnitus and hyperacusis are: Sound therapy, counselling, medication, hearing aids.

I have only touched the surface to try and convey to you, how some people's lives are seriously affected by tinnitus. You have mentioned how does one become positive with tinnitus. Please go to my started threads and read: Tinnitus and The Negative Mindset, Acquiring a Positive Mindset, The Habituation Process, How to Habituate to tinnitus, New to Tinnitus, What to Do? Is Positivity Important? Tinnitus and Mental Health, What Is Debilitating Tinnitus? From Darkness into Light.

I wish you well,
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    3. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      I think trying to manage tinnitus when you have hyperacusis or a sound reactive element as well, is a whole different league and ballgame (I know as I have had both).

Plus, tbh, what I share with people in the street face to face and what I post online are two different things.

I had mild and moderate tinnitus for 45 years, without hyperacusis, and no one would ever have known I even had it. It wasn't really a problem.

For 6 months I have had severe sound reactive tinnitus (call it hyperacusis if you will) and it's almost soul destroying.

Most people who post online about it are the ones that struggle the most.

If all 750 million people with tinnitus posted online about it, you'd see a completely different perspective.

This together with the nature of sharing true thoughts behind an anonymous avatar are the reason online posts about tinnitus are 99% negative.

• Like Like x 2
    4. hopefuldede

hopefuldede Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold
      Hi David, if you don’t mind me asking, how did you acquire your tinnitus? Where’s your home city?