Feeling My Eardrum Move

Discussion in 'Support' started by BenB, Oct 6, 2014.

1. BenB

BenB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unsure
      Ok my first post here so I apologize if there are other threads with a similar topic...

About 6 months ago I started noticing a sensation in just one of my ears. It feels like my ear drum pulsing in and out...just once. It happens almost always when it is completely silent and then there is one sharp sound. If there is background noise, it doesn't happen, or I don't notice it at least.

I've noticed it progressing and happening now sometimes even when I make a sound with my voice when it is otherwise quiet. It makes a low thumping sound and a sensation of my eardrum moving in and out, just once. I went to an ENT and they found very little hearing loss in that ear and they diagnosed the eardrum to be healthy as well as the ear muscles that tense up when you hear a loud sound.

Some other tidbits....I notice it more in the morning where I had salt the night before, presumably from added pressure and fluid. I also notice occasionally when running a clicking sound from that ear.

I can go in for more tests but I'm hoping it may go away on it's own from switching back to a predominantly vegan diet with lots of fruits and vegetables. I noticed that diet healed up a lot of strange health problems over the years and I am going to try it out again on this problem.

Anyone have thoughts on a potential cause?

2. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      it's TTS tympany tensor syndrome, let's see this as your brain reaction after an accoustic trauma, it's trying to pretect your ears from loud sounds.

i have this condition 10 years before tinnitus and it's really not an issue, it's like feeling your hairs moving with the wind, very soon you won"t even think about it.

3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I have the same thing. It drives me nuts, sounds like thunder to me, my ear muscle spasming for hours, sometimes days. I hate it almost as much as My T at times. My ear also feels blocked when this happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I occasionally experience what you describe. my t onset was 9 months, and back in the early days, it was a real problem for me; especially as Telis has noted re: the blocked feeling...but it has definitely improved with the passage of time. It is harmless, so i manage it like my t, and turn my focus on the good things in my life and the spasm goes away. i have read that some people find magnesium helps with the TTT. have you tried that?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BenB

BenB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unsure
      Thank you for your reply. I haven't tried magnesium yet but back when I was vegan my diet had a lot of magnesium/potassium rich foods. I hope when I go back to the high-carb vegan diet with lots of fruits and vegetables that this problem will be resolved. I don't want to get surgery but hopefully it won't come to that!

6. Kevin08
      Balanced

Kevin08 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      I have the same feeling of something inside pressing against the ear drum. The eardrum gets sore as I talk and itches, maddening! My ENT says he can see a shadow so there is something there for sure. Had a CT scan now I wait to find out the next move. I see him tomorrow...

7. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      I had that fluttering in both ears. I'm taking 800mg a day of Magnesium and the fluttering is gone now but I'm not wholly sure it was the magnesium.

8. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I get fluttering of the ear drum too. Glad I'm not the only one.

9. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      I have this. I definitely hate this as much as T...

10. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      it's Tensor Tympani Syndrome, i've had this some 10 years before tinnitus, it's not painful and not so bothering.

11. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I can tell you what causes mine-
      A loud band. My high string on my fiddle. Any note higher than D on the hi E on my guitar. Babies crying. Loud cats. Most doorbells. High sounds.
      It's in my right ear. Gladly, years ago I found out how to get rid of it when it would usually go on for days and days. I just put cotton in my ear for a day and it's gone.
      About 20 years ago I was riding my bike and the thumping went absolutely nuts. I went to the hospital thinking a bug got in my ear. I couldn't believe it when they said my eardrum looked OK, as I sat there actually feeling something in there.
      When I run and sometimes walk I hear the clicking. This started about 10 years ago. I got obsessed with doing at home deep ear cleaning - to no avail.