Feeling Really Frustrated Right Now

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ludvik, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection + Noise Induced
      Hey guys, I'm approaching the 6 week mark of my Tinnitus. I've more or less been able to stay positive and be functional, even being able to sleep without xanax some nights - and able to find my joy in life again. And I still have hopes that it might eventually fade away.. But it just doesn't seem to be getting better.

I went to lunch with co workers yesterday, and I wore 15 db ear plugs. It was pretty loud and I thought of switching to my 20 db ones but I was already finding it hard to hear and talk to my co workers so I didn't.
      I've gotten a pretty big spike now, and it's loud enough I can start to hear it over a shower.. Which is really depressing as that was my last piece of "sanctuary". The one place I can take a break from hearing the tinnitus.

It just really sucks, I know the general advice is that I should still go out and enjoy the things I like, such as movies and eating with friends - but it seems like I can't even do that anymore without triggering a spike which seems to last. What do I do? Do I just isolate myself in my house for the rest of my life?

2. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Correct me if I am wrong (never been on anti-depressants beside supermild one for anxiety that is even given to children due to its mild effect), doesn't coming of anti-depressants affect your T? I have seen posts about it before here. The brain is adjusting to the lack of medicine that it was used to and it might cause temporary spikes. It also sounds that you might just have gotten reactive T as well. Sometimes it happens for no good reason. I have been to noise lunches with earplugs too, it has been fine since the db don't reach that high that not even 15db plugs wouldn't protect you. So don't worry about damage, I am sure there is none. I would suggest to try to stay away from louder environments seeing that you are still early in from onset, just to avoid the spikes since it causes worry in you.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It could be down to anxiety being out with friends and wondering if your plugs are helping.
      Don't give up on going out with them as we need the good times in life.
      I'm sure tomorrow will be a better day after a good sleep ....lots of love glynis

4. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      How loud is this lunch place? Seems a bit overkill to have plugs imo unless they are pumping loud music out.

5. Scottrock
      Fine

Scottrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly ear infection or loud music
      Hey Ludvik,
      I am going through the same. Thought I had it covered but then went out for dinner last night, started spiking and hasn't let up!
      Absolutely horrible day today. I've decided that at least for the next six months, I'm going to give my ears the best opportunity I can to recover. I owe em that after the shit that I've put the most through. Getting off the supplements and other meds and yep, if it means playing hermit for a while, that's all good too. Did my first meditation session earlier - don't know that I was in the right frame of mind for it, but will see if I can make it a habit.
      Do what ya have to and take care mate.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection + Noise Induced
      Hey @Fangen, I have heard that benzo withdrawl can affect T. I'm taking such a small amount though (and only on nights when I get panicky) that I'm not sure I could be considered "coming off" it. I cut my pills into quarters so I take something like 0.06 mg. And yes you're right I'll be staying away from noise environments, I guess sometimes it's just hard to gauge whether the environment will be above or below my threshold.

@glynis Thanks Glynis. I really want to still be able to live my life and hang out with friends.

@Sam Bridge I didn't bring a decibel reader with me, but it was loud enough to struggle to hear each other. It might be overkill but I'm glad I did bring the plugs, otherwise the spike would've been much worse.

@Scottrock I think you're right, I mean it sucks to be a hermit but it would be good to err on the side of caution and fully let them rest in the coming months. I'm glad to see you're doing meditation, it's been helping me get to sleep.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      In such a small dose it seems more likely that it is a mix of anxiety and maybe some reactive T. I wouldn't worry too much, put your plugs in during busy restaurant hours (I always go in without but I check if there is music playing, if the place is crowded etc, if it is then i put in my plugs) and other noise environments. I wear them on the subway too since the speakers are sometimes loud when they are announcing the next station. Just trying to be on the safe side, also not hearing people talk on the phone or babies crying with plugs in is also rather nice.
      Just have a pair of plugs with you at all time and you can just put them in when you feel it s a bit too loud, then you don't have to worry that you can't go to certain places :)