Fell Asleep with Phone Next to Me and Audiobook Running

Discussion in 'Support' started by lifeisover, Oct 19, 2017.

1. lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      Yesterday night I fell asleep with my phone next to my head and an audiobook running (just a guy talking, nothing else). The volume of my android phone was set to the lowest possible, I was not wearing headphones. However the phone was next to my head. I woke up after 2 hours and my tinnitus was loud.

Did I cause permanent damage? It still feels loud. What should I do?

2. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      You probably caused a spike. It should settle down in a few days. In order for permanent damage to occur it has to be a loud loud sound and it has to be long in duration (at least I think so)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      Could the vibrations somehow have caused permanent damage? I hate myself for falling asleep without setting the timer.

4. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      Something that low is unlikely to cause any permanent damage. Could be a case of your brain not getting enough rest because it had background noise it had to process, so the spike could be a mix of your brain being overworked.

I often fall asleep with my phone on too (usually music) and sometimes I wake up with a spike because of it, but it normally goes down within a few hours, sometimes a few minutes after waking up. Though i've had a few spikes that took days to settle. Best thing you can do is control your anxiety and distract yourself. I usually just watch a movie and try not to focus on it. Mine is severe at the best of times so it's not always easy to do, but I get by.

Hope you feel better soon!