Fibromyalgia and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by christina01, Aug 10, 2015.

1. christina01

christina01 Member

Does anyone here have Fibromyalgia and Tinnitus? I'm in a fibro group and there where 100s of people claiming they suffered with Tinnitus as well. Wondering if there is a link between the two.

2. Melina
      Tired

Melina Member

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia which was later correctly diagnosed as chronic pain syndrome, and I have 24/7 tinnitus. I cannot remember exactly when the tinnitus began, but I suspect I had it already, although it's certainly worse now than it was before.

3. Inge
      Cool

Inge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzodiazepine withdrawal
      I have both Fibromyalgia and Tinnitus as well.

4. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I asked my doc if I could have fibro and she snorted at me and said: "that's just a rubbish bin diagnosis." :facepalm:

5. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey guys, I want to know how many people in here have fibromyalgia?

Also, how many people count tinnitus as a fibromyalgia symptom?

And for how many tinnitus was their first symptom of fibromyalgia?

Thanks!

6. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      @Mario martz,

I had pains and sensitivity exactly in all fibromyalgia trigger points. It came and went in waves for two years, it was several years after tinnitus onset, the reason was one or combination of these: increased cigarette smoking, sleeping on a cold surface, stress at work. I had no pains while sleeping when I had this kind of issue.

In days when the pains bothered me too much, I took a pill that lowered the level of pains to mild level or took off all the pains, the pills contained (Paracetamol 500mg, Caffeine 50mg, Codeine Phosphate 15mg), sometimes two pills a day, but you can't take Codeine(opiate) more than three days in a row because of addiction.

Tinnitus is not symptom of fibromyalgia and vice versa, I think these two with other stuff connected to some CNS issue. The reason that my "pseudo" fibromyalgia and some other issue disappeared made me hopes that my tinnitus also can be in a good times in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      The effect of fibromyalgia treatment on tinnitus
      Highlights

To investigate the incidence of tinnitus in fibromyalgia patients
      To investigate the effect of drugs used in fibromyalgia on tinnitus

Abstract

Objectives
      We investigated the frequency of tinnitus in fibromyalgia patients and the effect of drugs used for routine fibromyalgia on tinnitus.

Methods
      We included 101 diagnosed fibromyalgia patients. After detailed ear nose throat examination, audiometric tests and tinnitus handicap index (THI) were performed. After the tests, routine treatment for fibromyalgia was started by the physical therapy and rehabilitation department. Two months after the beginning of the treatment, THI were repeated again and the results were statistically evaluated.

Results
      All patients included in the study were women. 74.3% of the patients had tinnitus. Pregabalin and selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) antidepressant-treated patients were evaluated; In both groups, there was a statistically significant difference between pre- and post-treatment tinnitus levels (p < .001). However, there was no statistically significant difference between pregabalin group and diloxetine group according to treatment results.

Conclusions
      The incidence of tinnitus is high in fibromyalgia patients. That pregabalin and duloxetine agents routinely used in fibromyalgia require further experimental and human studies in order to be able to use in tinnitus.

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0196070919311123