Finasteride Could Have Been My Downfall...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Oldsnwbrdr, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Oldsnwbrdr

Oldsnwbrdr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Finasteride or high frequency hearing loss
      Hi everyone, new poster here.

Apparently, post Finasteride syndrome (PFS) is a thing, and tinnitus is one of the side effects. PFS has a long list of possible side effects, and if tinnitus is all I get, I’m blessed.

In May, I took three pills (one a day), which was prescribed for BPH. I noticed the tinnitus, and stopped taking the Finasteride immediately. But the tinnitus has remained.

I saw an ENT recently, which seemed like a waste of time except that I learned I have some high frequency hearing loss. My ENT doctor had never heard of a possible link of finasteride to hearing loss/tinnitus.

Obviously this is just suspicion on my part, me taking finasteride and developing tinnitus shortly after could have been coincidental. I have high pitched ringing 24/7 which varies in volume from 1 to 4 or so. I don’t seem to have control over the volume. Maybe sleep helps, maybe alcohol hurts. I try some of the masking tones on YouTube, they don’t do much. I’ve also tried some “tapping” exercises by a Chinese guy (found on YouTube), some people claim it helps but it hasn’t helped me after two weeks.

I’m blessed to be able to ignore it most of the time, and it doesn’t affect my sleep. I sure would like to enjoy silence again.

Nice to meet you!

Ray
      Toledo, Ohio

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      Hi Ray,

I do not believe Finasteride is an ototoxic medication. It’s very very unlikely that this would have caused hearing loss after taking only 3 pills.

We’re you exposed to any noise trauma in the days before you noticed your tinnitus appeared?

Are you currently taking any other medication which could be responsible?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Oldsnwbrdr

Oldsnwbrdr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No noise exposure. Only other drugs are atorvastatin and doxazosin....

4. Maxi Bertolami
      Frustrated

Maxi Bertolami Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post Finasteride Syndrome
      Hi there, I am conducting a resear through the PFS foundation to see if other members have the same tinnitus as mine. I have a digital recreation of my T that is a composition of a hissing and a random chirping at high volume. So I sent it to the administrator and in a couple of days two persons report matching type of tinnitus and even how long after quit the drug apeared the symptom. I have this condition since 2014. Now I am 100% sure that I suffer this syndrome. Depression and sexual problems also became permanent

5. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Hi. My worsening is noise induced but it happened 3 months after quitting finasteride. Fortunately, after more than 2 years, my sexual sides got better. Of course I am not the same guy but I can "work" decently.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Oldsnwbrdr

Oldsnwbrdr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry I haven’t kept up on my post or this forum. Still dealing with this, I don’t hear any hissing or chirping, just a continuous high pitched tone. Sometimes I experience what feels like a change in pressure in my head which changes the volume of the T.