First Timer Here — Tinnitus Onset Coincided with Ear Syringing / COVID-19 Booster Shot

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by HereWeGoAgain, Feb 6, 2022.

1. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear syringing and/or booster shot
      Hello everyone,

Thought I'd introduce myself. Recent tinnitus sufferer here from the Netherlands. 39 years old. Always had dodgy hearing in my right ear specifically due to being close to loud noises in bars and such.

So about three weeks ago I woke up with my ear clogged. This happens often for me and my ears usually clear on their own. They didn't now, so after a few days I called the doctor. I could come in the next day and they'd have a look.

Massive amounts of earwax were found and thus the doctors assistant syringed my ear. Not much happened but I was told to wait a bit. I did and nothing improved. After about of hearing almost nothing I went back and this time the doctor syringed the ear himself. Instantly it opened up and I found myself hearing better than ever. Great!

That following day I got the COVID-19 booster shot. That evening I noticed tinnitus in my left ear and centrally as well. It struck me that I must've had low-grade tinnitus for a long time but somehow it got louder.

I slept badly the next few days but didn't panic because somehow it felt somewhat familiar. Did read some of the success stories here (and nothing else) just to get in a positive mindset. I've dealt with a scabies infestation and kidney stones recently and have found that mindset is key.

Went to see an ENT doctor yesterday, and physically there is nothing wrong with my ears. In terms of hearing I have bad hearing in the upper regions but I was expecting that. Planning to see an audiologist in the short term. I'm getting craniosacral therapy this Wednesday as well.

And that's where I am right now. The ENT doctor explained that due to ear syringing the eardrums can get "bruised" which can cause tinnitus. This can sometimes last from 8-12 weeks apparently.

Not sure what the cause is but there seems to be a correlation between the ear syringing and ear ringing I'm experiencing now.

Couple of things; when I move my jaw forward I can make the tinnitus peak (have had this all my life or as far as I can remember at least). Caffeine and alcohol seem to make it spike as well.

Hoping to learn and contribute here.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello @HereWeGoAgain. I’ve never had my ears syringed, or had any COVID-19 vaccinations, so I am probably not the best to speak to. I just wanted to say hello :).

Universal advice: protect your ears from loud noise, try sleep as much a possible, and manage any anxiety as best you can. White noise is your new best friend.

Many people recover in the first 6 months. Stay positive and try not to panic.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Both ear syringing and the COVID-19 vaccine have been reported here to have worsened tinnitus.

Short from taking anti-inflammatory supplements (look them up on the forum) or Prednisone I think you'll just have to wait and see. I had significant worsening of my tinnitus from doing tests, so I'm not a fan of going to an audiologist and having them shoot loud sounds into my ears. Do a search on the forum for Tympanometry and Acoustic Reflex Test.

Some people's tinnitus spikes from the COVID-19 vaccine have reduced in time. It seems it can take 6 months or more.

Being able to manipulate your tinnitus through jaw and neck movements is common.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. makeyourownluck
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is this test different in the US? This is the test to check pressure? I got this test done at an audiologist but it didn’t have any noise.

I did say that I did not want loud noise anywhere near my ears. Maybe they turned the sound off? Why wouldn’t they do this for all people with tinnitus?

5. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Tympanometry is silent. It tests ear pressure. I have had several with no problem, but have read on the forum that people have had trouble with it. It could be they are mistaking the acoustic reflex test for a tympanometry test. Still, pressuring the ear could potentially cause barotrauma maybe?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      You'll be fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    7. makeyourownluck
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks, just checking. Seeing an ENT tomorrow to try figure out why my ear feels like it has a fully pumped up basketball inside it. I’m 7 months in and just getting to a place where I can manage the noise. I don’t want any tests that could make things worse.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you all for the comments and advice so far. This forum is very rare in my experience in that it's very positive and people genuinely try to help each other. The mistake I made during the scabies and kidney stone episodes was looking everything up online so I will refrain from doing that. This thread and the success stories is all I'll be reading for a while.

Panic has not set in yet and I'm experiencing my first spike already apparently. It's more irritation than anything else.

Oh yeah, something of interest perhaps. The ENT doctor explained that the range in which hearing loss occurs would likely be similar to the tinnitus tone one experiences. I don't know the science behind it and neither did she, but for me that has proven to be true. I have the "dog whistle" tone primarily and the upper regions is precisely where my hearing is compromised.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Some more information (perhaps it is of use), the ENT doctor called just now and identified 4 possible causes. The ear syringing I mentioned, (genetic) hearing loss, slight elevated blood pressure and TMJ issues. I proposed that it's likely the ear syringing, mainly, since it started pretty much directly afterwards and she agreed. It should heal up in 8-12 weeks but I have an approval to test an hearing aid if things don't improve.

It's really spiking now so I hope it does. Also, I always assumed my hearing loss, of which I've been well aware, was due to hearing damage due to loud sounds. Turns out it's not that since I have hearing loss over multiple frequencies. I think there's some confabulation there because I couldn't hear some of the tones in the hearing test due to the tinnitus spiking during the test. But interesting and perhaps of help to others.

• Like Like x 1
    10. makeyourownluck
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You are already doing better than most! I am only just getting to this point now.
      I hope this happens.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you! Appreciated and I hope you are on the road to recovery yourself.

• Friendly Friendly x 2