Food — My Favorite Topic — Onions??? Other???

Discussion in 'Support' started by Path Maker, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      It appears that I often (not always) have a better day the day after I eat a nice big Indian food meal. What I usually have are:

Pakoras (fritters made of chickpea flour, spinach and onions) with a tamarind dipping sauce

Onion uppatham (a rice flour pancake with onions mixed in)

I'm wondering if anyone notices anything they eat that more or less appears to IMPROVE the tinnitus?

I am planning to ask the restaurant for all the ingredients in this meal, though I suspect it may have something to do with both the onions and maybe one or more of the spices.

Anyway, it's my favorite kind of food, so ... BONUS. :)

• Like Like x 1
    2. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      I've been trying to figure this out ever since I got my T. On Feb. 25th I ate Chinese food for lunch: general tso's tofu with rice and broccoli. Later that day I had an intense brain fog while driving, my right ear was clogged up like crazy, and I had a terrible headache on the right side. Now it turns out that it was most likely due to Eustachian tube dysfunction. I didn't get T until about half a month later.

However, on the 20th of May, I ate Vietnamese pho for lunch. Not sure if pho has MSG or if that particular restaurant even uses MSG, but the next morning I woke up around 4:30AM and I had NO T! I went back to sleep and it came back a couple hours later of course...

Then, on the 23rd, I had NO T ALL DAY! However it came back the next morning. The night before I had more salt than I usually do in my dinner.

I tried to play around with salt intake to see if low salt was causing it, but I didn't see any direct correlation to salt intake. Go figure.

Still keeping my fingers crossed that it's been ETD the whole time.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Well, I would hope that for you too. I don't think all tinnitus is hearing-loss related. The body is too complex and affected in too many ways by things physical, viral, etc. And tinnitus is a symptom, not a diagnosis.

I am not the only one who likes General Tso's tofu, I see! I find that it MAY cause the tinnitus to elevate, but since the result is about 50/50 whenever I eat it, probably no relation. I am, however, going to learn to make a reasonable copy at home of this recipe, since I'm pretty sure the Chinese restaurants are using GMO tofu. Ugh and yuck. Still, laziness and hunger caused me to have it delivered tonight!

4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I love Pho! Doubt it will do anything for me, but you made me want to have some soon.

Funny thing this thread reminded me of. After reading about how cityjohn got his tinnitus it made me think how mine came about.
      I had an acoustic trauma, went to urgent care the next day and they did an audiogram, no hearing loss up to 8kHz and they sent me on my way. My hearing still felt a little zapped and sensitive, but no loud ringing at that point. The next day I was back to feeling normal, went to a nice Chinese restaurant and ordered the black fungus chicken. Probably just a coincidence, but the next morning I woke up with my loud T that has been my companion ever since.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Probably no connection, Alue. Still makes us wonder, though ... the cause, the cause ...

Anyway, what is pho? :)

6. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I dont know if theres is a connection, but i drink coconut water like crazy! and when i do i have good t days.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, my tinnitus onset still makes me wonder, I know it was caused by acoustic trauma, but why was it so severe?

Pho (pronounced fa) is Vietnamese noodle soup. It can have a very intricate flavor, depending on where you get it from. I like mine with strips of rare filet that are thrown in raw but cook in the broth.
      348s.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Yum - do they make a vegetarian version???

9. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm sure they do.

10. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

Sweety, the rum in the bottom of the glass that you put the coconut water in probably helps. ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Zorro! Always good for a great laugh!

Hey! Let's make a rum soup and stir in some onions, pho, coconut, chocolate, pizza, maple syrup, pancakes ... Voila! Tinnitus cure! (Because a stomachache will take your mind off it.).

• Like Like x 1
    12. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      My best friend loves this, and wanted me to try it, but i was afraid to try it, since it has a lot of ginger, and i think it might spike my tinnitus????

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I just ate (I mean, like, it's still stuck in my teeth!) a couple of sugared ginger medallions. I think ginger may be good for you! Nothing to lose by trying ...

14. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      hahahah im not an alcoholic
      sPZdjmGJxJWaA.gif

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Path Maker

Tinnitus Since: